Kingston, Jamaica Part 31

After a week, the Midnight Raider approached Kingston Harbor

After a week, the Midnight Raider approached Kingston Harbor. Mauricia and America were so excited that could barely contain their joy. There must have been 50 ships and dozens of small fishing boats. It was by far the largest harbor we had entered on the whole journey.

The girls wanted us to come with them to make their case to their parents to allow them to go to the United States. Jack declined.

"They're never going to let you go," he said. "We'll be anchored in the harbor for three days - after midnight on the third day - that's a Tuesday morning - we are a'headin' out so be on the ship by then or we go without you. If by any chance in hell they allow you to go, let us know as soon as you can and we'll wait for you. But we're a'gonna bet that they won't let you out of their sight for a few days at least so we'll plan on you just a'leavin' them a note a'sayin' you've left for the states and you're in good hands, and that you'll write to them regularly. We can't help you in this one - you must come of your own free will or they could say we kidnapped you."

"How do we know you'll be here and not just skip out on us," said America.

"You don't. You'll just have to trust us," said Jack. "Morris will be waiting at the main dock with his boat to take you back to the ship. He'll be there at 22:00 hours - that's 10 o'clock at night - so don't be late. We leave no later than midnight or as soon as you get aboard. Good luck with your parents. You'll need it."

"Please make sure he waits for us," America said to me and hugged me.

"Don't worry ladies," I said, "we're not going anywhere without you."