// chapter 13 //

The snow was unbearably cold against his pawpads, but Dewpaw pushed on. He could not risk being seen as weak, especially when the other trainees already had at least a moon of training on him.

"Let's go, the prey's not gonna' wait around!" Leo's voice boomed over them. Beside Dewpaw, Webpaw's lips drew into a snarl and she pushed herself forward, gaining on Soren and Hazel in front of them. Olive and Finch took up the lead, Crisp close behind.

Dewpaw ignored the pain in his back leg, trailing after Webpaw. He could feel Robin's quick breaths right on his tail, Oats' erratic pawsteps somewhere nearby. Crowpaw brought up the rear.

"Where are they taking us?" he huffed, breath rising up in a cloud. Only two days after his appointment to trainee status, leaf-bare seemed to be in full swing.

"No idea," Robin replied, levelling out with him. They continued racing forward, bounding through snow drifts and dodging around tree trunks.

They stopped short in front of a large brown wall. Gazing up with wide eyes, Dewpaw realized it was a fence – and they all needed to cross it.

Refusing to think about the last time he tried, and failed, to leap atop a fence, the grey tom bunched his legs up beneath him and sprang, hitting the top with his forepaws. His claws shot out, but not in time to keep him from sliding. He hissed in frustration as he hit the ground.

Robin looked back at him, balancing carefully on the edge. She gave him a quick nod and Dewpaw understood. He tried once more, claws unsheathing as he flew upwards, and grunted as Robin grabbed him by the scruff. Pushing against the wood with his hind paws, he helped her with his weight.

"Thanks," he said quickly before they both leaped down on the other side.

"No problem," she responded with a twitch of her whiskers. Oats was now in front of them.

By the time they reached their destination, Dewpaw's legs burned. He and Robin had managed to level out with Oats, though Crowpaw still arrived last.

"Looks like someone's cleaning out the shelter tonight!" Quartz announced, eyeing the black tom. Crowpaw just gave a nod, still catching his breath.

"Today, you will be hunting," Leo announced, stepping forward. "Once you have found a single piece, you are to bring it back here. Then, we will test your battle skills."

Dewpaw's mind raced as he took everything in. It was already nearing sunhigh! How were they to get through all of this before dusk?

"Let's go," Beaver said, flicking his thick tail. "You can hunt anywhere – the copse of trees, the little lake there, or through the snowdrifts."

"I spotted a hare earlier," Jaystrike added thoughtfully. "Perhaps someone will catch that." Dewpaw saw Olive's ears perk up immediately.

The trainees set off, each in a different direction. Dewpaw waited, watching the others. The quickest of the trainees – Olive, Finch, and Soren – headed for the snowdrifts. Hazel, Robin, Oats, and Webpaw found their way to the copse of trees, leaving Crisp and Crowpaw the small lake.

Dewpaw debated his hunting strategy. He wasn't quick enough to hunt hares on open ground, and his back leg prevented him from climbing or jumping up the trees. The lake seemed to be his best bet.

Aware of the mentors watching him, Dewpaw picked his way through the snow, fur already soaked through. The reeds surrounding the lake were half-frozen, their bulbous brown ends covered with frosty white. He could see Crisp stalking something on the other side of the frozen water; Crowpaw had disappeared.