// chapter 26 //

By sunset, everyone knew of Beetlepaw's prowess in battle, which only made Lightpaw more anxious about their mission with the rebels. If they thought of Beetlepaw's skill so highly, what would happen if Lightpaw took part in training? In DarkClan her littermate was a good fighter, but she was better.

What would happen if they found out just how well trained the DarkClan apprentices were? That, from the few observations she'd made of the rebels' fighting skills, they didn't stand a chance? If they were forced to help in training, would it affect the results of their mission? Would it give the rebels a better chance against DarkClan, and make them traitors to their own Clan?

And there, in the midst of all of those questions was one that caused Lightpaw even more confusion: did anything regarding the mission and DarkClan even matter? So far, the rebels had taken care of them and let them be a part of their daily lives; they were the opposite of how Dawnstar had painted them.

Since their arrival and the interrogation a few days prior, Lightpaw had kept to the medic's den. She didn't want to interact with too many cats just yet and part of it was because she didn't know how she should approach them. Did they suspect her of anything? The sense of paranoia within the camp pervaded her senses day and night.

Crowpaw, at least, seemed friendly. She saw him most often, as Mothpelt and Lily were busy with their greencough patients. They hadn't wanted Lightpaw to catch the deadly cough and had moved her into a separate part of the medic's den quickly.

From what Lightpaw had gathered, Crowpaw was a new medic's apprentice. Despite the fact, he seemed to have a good knowledge of herbs and symptoms, as well as a sense of calm even when faced with a sick patient. This stood out to her most, especially when she thought about Reedpaw.

A pang of loneliness hit her as she thought of him for the tenth time in the four days she had been here. How was he dealing with Pigeonfang's and Dapplefrost's pregnancies? They would both be due soon and she, most likely, would not be there to support him. How was he faring with the greencough descending upon DarkClan too? And how were those sick with greencough? The thought of Yewpaw, coughing loudly, and Spiderthorn, his fevered eyes far-off, entered her mind and she shook her head to keep the thoughts at bay.

"Doing alright?" Crowpaw asked, dropping a mouthful of herbs in front of her.

"Better, thank you," she said. It was a half-truth. Though her head was now fuller than ever of thoughts about DarkClan, her mission, and her worries about those she'd left behind, she still woke every night with the image of those blank, dead eyes.

"Last dose of these. I talked to Mothpelt and she seemed to think you'd be fine to join the others for training sessions."

Lightpaw nodded. "It'll be nice to get out." The thought of fighting made her queasy, but she knew she would have to try. Maybe downplay her fighting skills so the rebels didn't know the extent of DarkClan's training.

As she ate the herbs she asked, "What are these?"

"Chamomile and thyme," Crowpaw responded. "Thyme is good for shock, it calms the body. Chamomile helps to keep your mind from racing."

Lightpaw purred slightly. "Sounds like something I need right now."

"What are you thinking about?"

She saw that he was watching her very curiously. The she-cat found she remembered him, however vaguely, from when he was still part of DarkClan.

"One of my friends, Reedpaw, is the healer in DarkClan. He was put in the position without a mentor and has been trying to learn everything on his own. It works, usually, but he's always anxious that he'll hurt someone, or that an herb won't work."