Play Fight

(Author's Notes: I wanted to thank some of you for actually submitting ideas. I was bored and needed something to take off some stress because school is starting again and I fucking hate it. Anyways, please enjoy this fanfiction requested by Animebinge (on FanFiction.net). Side note: I also plan on making potential chapters much longer.)

Warning: This story's future rating will be M. If you don't like the ship (Steven x Connie), please leave.

Heat emanates from the sun and its mugginess drains Connie's energy as she oscillates Rose's sword from side to side, restricting attacks from the hologram Pearl. Her brow is drenched in sweat and her eyes remain focused on the attacker, keeping her body low and stance wide, allowing for stronger and solid strikes. When she spins once out of the hologram's view, she catches a glimpse of Steven sitting on the steps of the arena. He's swinging his legs back and forth, keeping his eyes focused on the fight, hoping for nothing bad to happen this time.

Steven turns to Pearl and smiles nervously to himself when he sees her taking notes on the chalkboard in difficult cursive writing, hoping for it not to say anything bad — especially when Connie's doing so well. His thoughts soon interrupt when he hears his friend yell. "Dammit!" Connie pushes back the sword that's lunged at her shoulder, lacerating it. Steven quickly gives his attention back to the girl fighting and notices her shoulder, layered in sweat and blood from a fresh cut. Her brow furrows and she steps her right foot forward, lunging out the sword without hesitation at the hologram, slashing her sword down its head first, watching its remains dissipate into thin air afterwards.

Her knees fall to the ground and she releases the pink sword, instead holding her shoulder to prevent more bleeding. "Connie!" Steven rushes to her. Pearl looks up from the board to the injured human on the floor, baffled by what happened. "Connie, how's it look?" His voice is in fret but it calms her in this state of panic she's in. Her body is shivering and tears are falling from her cheeks when Steven moves her hand out of the way. She groans in pain and Steven shrieks back to see if he hurt her before he leans down to kiss her cut, her taste of blood now on his lips. It takes a few seconds for it to heal and soon the overwhelming pain goes away. "Are you okay now?"

Her tears dry away and she looks up at him with eyes glossy and red from the crying. He leans her up from the ground and wipes away the moist tear stains from her cheek. "I'm okay," she whispers, voice still hurt. Steven smiles at her before he pulls Connie up onto her feet. She wipes her eyes and draws herself into Steven's arms, hugging him tightly, hoping to herself mentally for him to never leave.

"Is everything alright over here?" Pearl interjects, walking over to the two teens hugging. Connie pushes back away from the hug, her cheeks beginning to burn, and Steven does too with a smile.

He turns his head to Pearl and gives her a shy grin, wiping Connie's blood off from his mouth. "I think we should take a short break."

"Pfft, a short break," Pearl cackles, crossing her arms. Connie, eyes still puffy, looks over at Steven who keeps on smiling at their instructor before she finally gives in. "Alright, alright. Training was almost over, you kids might as well just go have fun together," she says. They both smile. Steven grips his hands into fists out of excitement and grins more, waiting for something. "What? Oh, yeah — here." Pearl unzips the prize pouch that's buckled over her waist and takes out two plastic water guns that are still empty. "You trainees earned it."

Steven smiles and snatches both of the toy guns from Pearl's hands out of eagerness, and hands one to his best friend. "Ahh, yes! Thank you, Pearl," he whispers excitedly.

"Yeah, thank you very much, Pearl," Connie giggles weakly. Steven clasps her free hand and pulls her near to the exit of the ancient sky arena. He drags her down the stairs and darts straight toward the warp pad. When they warp back to the beach house, Steven almost immediately runs to the kitchen sink to fill up his water gun. Connie stands there still and steps off the pad leisurely. "Wait – Steven. We're not playing this right now are we?"

"What? Your parents said you can spend the night, didn't they? You have spare clothes." After he fills up the plastic gun, he closes it with its cap and pulls on the toy's trigger after targeting his aim on Connie.

Connie shields herself with her arms and laughs uncontrollably as Steven continuously sprays her with the sink water. "Wait, wait," she giggles. "I n-need to fill up mine first." Steven halts his fingers and gives her a smirk, giving her enough time to take off to the bathroom and fill up her gun. After she comes back, she aims her gun around the room. "I'm coming for you, Steven!" she yells. Silence fills the room and she turns around with her gun, trying to guard herself in the meantime. "Steven?"

"Over here, Connie," he laughs behind her. She quickly turns around to spray water but Steven summons up a shield before the water could touch him. Her eyes widen slowly much to her surprise and she leans back her gun, letting her arm hang down from exhaustion.

"No fair!" Connie titters and Steven does the same. When his shield dematerializes, Connie decides to take full advantage on him and bring up her toy to spray him, which Steven avoids by running past it and towards his front screen door. She follows behind him hesitantly outside and closes the door after she leaves the house. Steven runs down the stairs and aims back at the girl struggling to get down as well without getting wet. "Steven!" she laughs, covering her face.

He showers more water at her, watching her guffaw and attempt to take defense with her limbs as she makes her way down the stairs. After Steven's ammo entirely ceases, Connie positions her arms down and brings her toy back up. He recedes from her and smiles nervously, guiding his arms up almost like he's capitulating. "Wait – I need to fill up my gun, Connie!"

"It's too late for that," she retorts, targeting his body. Her eyes follow down then up his physique, then to his face and she simpers to herself when she sees the fear in his eyes, almost like when they were kids. Now, they're older and could get away with all but mostly everything. Connie drops the gun to her side and shortly saunters up to Steven. (A/N: This part was edited way too much.) "I'm not going to spray you, Steven."

He lets his arms fall to his sides and stares at her unworried facial expression before giving her a half smile. "Oh, that's good…" Her face beams with happiness at Steven which causes him to blush just a little. She's cute, he has to admit. Steven's eyes trace her frame and admires her features, her dark chocolate brown eyes, swarthy skin, thick curly hair. She's grown a lot these past three years and it's amazing how her body has changed. Though, Steven also has to admit thinking about it has been making some blood rush at night before he goes to sleep.

(Author's Notes: This is just a short introduction to some project I will be working on. I would have made it longer but it's time consuming and high school is starting again tomorrow, so I need to prep for it. And just a note, (I know this story has just one chapter), but it will be on hiatus for a short while.)