Final Hour

"Thank you, sir," he says, handing a few bucks to Greg before getting into his car. His hair is undoubtedly neat looking, slicked back with pomade and shiny, his formal attire consisting of a nice tuxedo with a pink handkerchief in his left breast pocket. Steven watches him drive off as he leans down comfortably on the lawn chairs set by the front door of he carwash business with his ankles crossed, playing with his sandals. Greg wipes his sweaty brow caused by the sun's exposure and keeps his eyes on the speedy yellow Maserati Ghibli as it drives off. When he turns around, he gives his son a half awkward smile.

"What happened to your girlfriend?" he asks jokingly, causing Steven to look to his side nervously with his cheeks puffed out, turning pink. "I mean Connie." Steven shrugs his shoulders still baffled and grabs the glass bottle of Coke from his side and sips it slowly from the colorful bendy straw. Greg sighs and goes to sit by him, grabbing his own chair when he scoots up in the side by Steven. "You're being pretty quiet today, is something up? You're, um – not having any more of those weird dreams, right?" Steven quickly swallows the carbonated drink which burns his throat before choking up a few words.

He sets the bottle down between his legs and sighs once he's composed. "No, I haven't. And Connie? Her parents are moving tomorrow and we were supposed to spend the day together but something came up and now I can't ever see her. Even if I do, it'll probably be really weird." Steven plays with the straw, watching the vertical lines twirl along with his finger before he grabs the drink to consume more. "I almost got in a sticky situation the other day when I was with her," he says quietly with the straw smashed between his teeth.

Greg laughs nervously, tapping his fingers on the chair's arm. "Don't worry about it. When I was your age, I was getting into all different situations." Steven laughs after setting his drink back down, waiting for another story from his dad, which doesn't happen. "They were as sticky as yours, I'm sure you would mind hearing them. And they're kind of personal," he laughs, causing Steven to give a very displeasing look at his dad. "But I'm still your cool dad, so tell me about yours." Steven sighs with a smile and leans his head back more to look at the sky turning dark.

"We were watching Galactic Atrocity," he starts, glancing down at his dad to see if he's given any attention, which he has. "It was that new movie that came out a week ago, we finally went to go see it because I saw the trailer on TV when Connie was sleeping over. And – that, that sleepover. I've been wanting to mention this because I don't think I have before, especially to you. The Gems won't even know what to do. I tried bringing this up but Amethyst keeps changing the subject. Pearl, she keeps trying to diagnose me with something."

Steven turns his head back to sky and sighs before his face turns a tinge pink when his father speaks up. "Oh. What exactly have you been telling them?" his father tries to ask calmly, leaving Steven feeling more confused about it as he sits up straight. His hair is messy and his cheeks are bright pink and it leaves Greg guilty for asking when he looks away.

"I've been telling the Gems that it's just thing that makes my–my," he stutters loudly and flustered, gesturing his hands towards his crotch area. "My, dickfeel sensitive and it goes hard at night or whenever I'm with Connie. I don't know what it is or why it takes a while for it to go limp but I'm sure it has nothing to do with magic. I thought you might understand because Amethyst tells me to talk to you about it. She calls it an e-rec-tion? I don't know what that is, Dad." When he finishes, Greg stares at him and sighs while acting disappointed due to his son's choice of language. Steven takes the soda and removes the straw before drinking it straight from the glass almost hurriedly.

His dad watches him in complete silence before laughing out loud. "How does Amethyst–?" he says, stopping himself immediately before sitting up to look at his grown up son. "You're just growing up, Steven. Once you've learned to control it, it'll just go away. For now, we gotta talk about Connie." He sighs and watches as Steven finishes the Coke and lets the bottle roll out of his tight grasp and onto the floor. "You're a hormonal teenager, this stuff happens. And it doesn't just happen to you, I can assure you it happens to Connie too."