Chapter 1: The Coronation Ceremony

"Princess Arabella María Franchesca Victoire de Lemengay, I now pronounce you as future Empress and Queen to the throne of this, the Holy Roman Empire. Do you accept this honour, my lady?"
I had been standing motionlessly for the past half hour as stiff as a board (I was honestly starting to feel as though I really was a stiff piece of board. My hands and legs had gone numb due to the prolonged period of time that I had been standing for.) "My lady?" said the officiating priest, jerking me out of my stupor. "Wa-? Oh! Yes. Yes, of course. I accept this position and the responsibility that comes along with it." I said straightening my posture as I stood at the altar in the throne room; all eyes were fixed upon me. It was with a sense of utmost pride that I accepted my position as Crown Princess of the Holy Roman Empire. It was an honour greater than no other.
"Very well, then, my lady," clearing his throat, he proceeded to add," All hail, Crown Princess and future Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, The Fair Lady Arabella María Franchesca Victoire de Lemengay! Long live, Rome! Long live, our Empire built on the foundation laid by our ancestors! May victory be ours! From now till thy Kingdom come! All hail, The Holy Roman Empire!"

That's when I felt it. An extra kilogram of weight was added onto my head. As per the tradition, during the coronation of a new heir or the introduction of a future heir, one would have to hold the Imperial Cross, the Imperial Sword and the Holy Lance, along with the Imperial Crown on their head whilst they were inducted into the position, via several oaths (to be taken by the heir or
soon-to-be heir) apart from other traditional practices. The Crown was the most important part of the Imperial Regalia. Unlike many other crowns, the Imperial Crown has an octagonal shape and is constructed from eight hinged plates. The plate in the front of the crown is surmounted by a cross, with a single arch linking it to a plate at the rear of the crown.

 The plate in the front of the crown is surmounted by a cross, with a single arch linking it to a plate at the rear of the crown

Front view of the Imperial Crown

Side view of the Imperial Crown

The audience of royal family members and various ministers who had gathered, clapped politely at the end of this pronouncement. Everyone looked at me.
Expectantly.
It was as though, they were waiting for something. I didn't recall Her Majesty mentioning anything about me having to do a speech, but from the looks of it, I guessed it might have had something to do with protocol. Turns out, my hunch was right. For at that precise moment, the priest whispered in my ear that I would have to present a speech. Thankfully, I was good at improvising. So, it wasn't really that much of a deal. It's just one of those things they teach you when you're a Princess. Clearing my throat slightly, I began, "A pleasant good day to one and all. To each of you gathered here today, I wish to express my heartfelt gratitude to you, for gracing this throne room with your presence. It is greatly appreciated. I would also like to assure you, that I will do everything in my power to uphold the honour and glory of my position as your Crown Princess. I give you my solemn word, that I will never abuse my position nor will I ever abuse its priviledges. It is with utmost respect and honour, that I accept this position. I will not fail you. Long live, Rome and long live, the Holy Roman Empire! May the light of our nation never diminish from now till thy Kingdom come! May the sun of our Empire never set. Thank you," and with that, I ended my speech to a more lusty round of applause (as compared to the previous round.)

"All rise, for the exit of the Crown Princess of the Holy Roman Empire The Fair Lady Arabella María Franchesca Victoire de Lemengay!" announced the priest as he motioned to me to rest the Imperial Cross, the Imperial Sword and the Holy Lance on a velvet-clad platter, inscribed with the family crest.

I proceeded to make my exit out the throne room, being greeted by everyone through various means. Some bowed, others nodded thus, acknowledging me (the older family royals did this) and some curtsyed. My exit was marked by the end if the event and the dispersal of the small crowd that had gathered to witness the ceremony. Brunch was announced by the kitchen maids; and everyone proceeded to the Dining Hall, which was located just after the kitchen.

I spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying various delicacies; amongst which were the signature dishes of some of Rome's best chefs, and engaging in conversation with the other family members

I spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying various delicacies; amongst which were the signature dishes of some of Rome's best chefs, and engaging in conversation with the other family members. I was given advice on how to fulfil my duties as Crown Princess responsibly and how to become an ideal future Queen and Empress like my mother and grandmother, before me.
After my father's death, my mother not only had to take control of the Empire, but she also had to provide a good upbringing for me. My childhood wasn't every little girl's dream. It wasn't filled with unicorns or rainbows or ponies. I rarely had happiness in my childhood. My childhood was spent in war. From birth till the age of nine, all I knew about was war and its aftermaths. Those were tough times. Not only for the Empire, but for the family as well.
Betrayal. Treachery. Death.
That's how it was for a couple of years. My mother had to put up with more than her fair share. But to this day, she has never complained or cried. My mother was and still is a woman with the heart of a warrior. She does not crack very easily. Which also makes her, an excellent debator. Whatever I was today, it was because of my mother's determination and her sacrifices.

A/N: Thank you so much for reading guys! Be sure to check out my amazing friend Books4Bookworms and be sure to follow her!