Chapter 2

Anodien wandered through the strange misty forest, everything tinted with an otherworldly green. Coils of fog climbed up her bare legs, making her shiver. Her eyes darted around the woods, anxiety pricking at her consciousness.

I'm looking for something, she thought. Or someone. A twig cracked to her left, and the Faeling whipped her head in the direction of the noise. Her long ears were pricked up to catch any further disturbances. No further noises broke the silence, but Anodien remained on guard. Her pale feet silently stepped through the fallen leaves, black half-dress whirling lightly around her thighs.

A low growl emanated from the brush behind her, and she didn't hesitate to break into a run. She heard the heavy pounding of large pawsteps behind her, and a harsh snarl hit her ears. Her chest began to hurt, and her legs felt like they moved through mud. A fallen tree appeared i n front of her, and she failed to notice it in time. Anodien fell to the ground, and long claws dug into her back.

"Get off!" Anodien screeched, bolting up. She stared down at the pillow underneath her, specked with a few drops of blood. She felt at her back, her fingers closing around thin needles. The Elleth winced as she yanked them out.

"Please refrain from wrecking my attempts to nurse you back to health, Princess," a nearby voice muttered irritably. The light blue hair and silver eyes were known to her, though she couldn't quite place the name. Anodien scowled and ignored him, reaching back to remove the other needles. "Miss Fireborn, I have a hard enough time with acupuncture as it is! Stop this or I'll put you back under with the poppy extract!" Anodien bit her lip, preventing a sharp retort.

The Fae turned around and mumbled to himself, gathering a few bowls of different colored salves. He set a few by Anodien's bedside table, adding different ingredients to each. The Faeling watched his swiftly moving hands, fascinated by the ease in which he prepared the medicine. The Fae noticed her intrigue. "Princess?" Anodien glanced up into his silver eyes. "Would you like to learn how to mix medicines?"

Anodien furrowed her brows. "Would you mind?" He shook his head.

"Of course not," he assured. The Fae grasped a bowl of warm water and handed it to her. "Hold this, and I'll help you once I've retrieved the other herbs." He disappeared from her bedside for a moment, returning with bags of labelled medicines. "Here, take this." The blue-haired Fae handed her a small cloth bag that made a tiny rattling noise.

"What is it?" Anodien queried curiously, inspecting the bag. The Fae sniffed.

"It's a bag of ground burdock root," he answered. Anodien tipped her head and opened her mouth to ask its purpose, although the Fae beat her to it. "Mixed with the right herbs, it will create a salve to draw infection out of wounds." The princess glanced down at the red-stained bandage over her chest. Without looking up, the Fae nodded. "Yes, I'm planning on using a bit for your wound." His eyes flicked up, the silver shining in the candlelight. "You certainly get yourself into trouble quite often, don't you?"

"I do not!" Anodien denied indignantly, propping herself up. The Fae simply shook his head and let out a sigh.

"If you say so. Now, here's a few chervil leaves. Squeeze the juice out of them and into the water, then add the burdock." The Fae continued to teach Anodien what to do, and she seemed more at peace than she'd been since she'd learned about Tauriel.

A light rapping at the door alerted them both to another presence. Anodien turned her head, her silver-flecked eyes settling on a familiar face. A faint smile spread across her face.

"Good morning," she greeted. Legolas smirked at her.

"Good night," the Elf corrected. Anodien rolled her eyes while Legolas chuckled. He strode over and placed a soothing hand on her shoulder. She adjusted herself as to face him, and he gave her a half-smile.

"You get the point," Anodien grunted, wincing as she briefly put pressure on her injury. Concern filled Legolas' face.

"Are you alright?" he queried worriedly. Anodien nodded wordlessly, shifting so that she did not lean on the wound. He sighed in relief. "Thank the Valar."

"Indeed," she agreed half-heartedly. Legolas caught her hesitation. He lifted her chin up, searching her now-dim green eyes. She held his gaze before jerking her head out of his hand. "I'm fine. So I can go back to Faellond and take over as queen." Alarm filled the Elf.

"Anodien, no!" Anodien glanced at him with an eyebrow raised. "Anodien, please stay here with me." The Faeling was silent for a moment, in which the Fae began to pack up his medicines in preparation for leaving the two alone. Once he'd left the room, Anodien began to speak.

"Legolas, you're the closest friend I've ever had," she began, "and I want to say that I don't regret saving your life. I would have died for you."

"I know," the prince interrupted, earning him an annoyed glare from Anodien.

"Legolas, I... I've never loved anyone to the depth of what I feel for you," she ground out hesitantly, avoiding Legolas' piercing blue eyes. "I'm aware you don't feel the same, and I've made my peace with that. Still, the best option for me is to return to my homeland and take the throne back from my cousin."

Legolas shook his head and touched his fingers to Anodien's flushed cheek. She jolted back, shocked by his action. Still, he kept his hand outstretched, and she slowly leaned in. Legolas brushed his fingers over her skin, and her eyes slowly closed as she appreciated the moment. Anodien allowed herself to pretend that he loved her in that time, and that it was his adoration for her that kept him here.

Eventually, the Elf stopped stroking her cheek, and just allowed her to press her face into it. A contented sigh escaped her lips, and she absently wished that he would never leave.

"Anodien," Legolas began, a mixture of guilt and resignation pooling in his chest, "I have seen your heart. You showed me the truth of myself when you sacrificed yourself." He allowed her to lie down, and he climbed underneath the covers to hold her closely. He began to run his fingers through her hair, feeling the thrum of happiness in her chest. "I realized that I couldn't live without you." He slowly pressed his lips to his friend's forehead. "Anodien, stay here with me."

The princess froze, her mind speeding. Legolas waited patiently for her answer, his arms wrapped protectively around her. Anodien glanced up into his blue eyes.

"Do you promise you love me?" she asked, voice no louder than a dying cricket's chirp.

Thus came the only lie that Legolas would ever tell to his dearest friend.

"Always."