Chapter 6

Legolas sat in the plush chair, Nanuet across from him. The prince let out a sigh, and Nanuet smacked the arm of his own chair. "Are you going to groan and gripe about some mystery problem in your mind, or could you trust me enough to let me assist you?" Legolas' head snapped up, and he shook himself out of his daze.

"I'm alright," the Ellon reassured Nanuet. The Fae grunted disbelievingly.

"Is that so? I'll have you know that you've been sighing and groaning for at least a quarter of an hour. Just tell me, Legolas." 

"It's nothing you need to know," the Elf prince promised, waving it off. Nanuet raised an eyebrow. 

"Are you sure?" Legolas opened his mouth to deny any issue. Suddenly, the lie that he'd been carrying for the past year seemed like too much of a burden. The urge to share it became too strong.

"It's... it's about Anodien." Nanuet sat back in his seat, listening intently. 

"Do tell."

"It's just..." Legolas searched for the right words to say. "Anodien is my nearest and dearest friend. She nearly died for me, and I too would give my life for her." Nanuet moved his hand in a circle.

"Then what's the issue, Legolas?" he wondered, leaning forward to stare at the Elf. "You both love each other." At this, the Ellon was silent, and Nanuet's eyes widened as he understood.

"That's just it, Nanuet," Legolas said quietly. "Anodien is my friend. I know she loves me, and I wish to every god that exists that I could return it. I... I just don't love her." He took a deep breath. "I never did."

"Then why did you ask her to marry you?" Nanuet asked incredulously. His silver-blue hair fell around his breastbone as he crossed his arms. "It would have been far easier for you both to remain friends, if you don't share the same affections."

"I know it would have," the Elf agreed. "Leaving her be, no lies or manipulations-- it would have been far easier than faking my love for her."

"Why didn't you?"

"I have two reasons... the first is... well, to help me forget a former love of mine. Anodien is more than willing to take that place, and I won't stop her. That's where it helps me, Nanuet. Secondly, I don't want to see Anodien hurt, at all... and she loves me.  I won't force her to go through her life without love if I can at least try to give her what she needs." Nanuet shook his head, disapproving of Legolas' plan.

"That's not the way to do it, Legolas. Pretending you love her is only going to hurt you both in the end." Legolas slumped into his chair. 

"I just don't want her to hurt anymore," he murmured. "If I can bring her at least a little happiness, then I will. Though my feelings for her aren't exactly romantic, I care about her deeply." 

The Fae leaned forwards, fixing his eyes on Legolas sternly. "Don't. This is a bad idea, Legolas, and she's only going to get hurt." The Elf was quiet for a few seconds, though he held anger in his ocean-blue eyes when he looked up.

"She needs what I can give her, Nanuet," he hissed, "and I won't take it away from her. She doesn't need to know about any of this. As far as she knows, I love her as much as she loves me." Legolas took a step towards the Fae and grasped his light blue tunic. "If you say a single word to her, so help me, I'll tear you limb from limb." He dropped Nanuet and left the room.