A Lonely Night

| Josh's POV |

It was dark out near the O2 at about 3am in the morning and all I could hear was my footsteps stepping on the concrete pavement while the gentle melodic tides by the Thames riverside took their time to rise and fall repeatedly. I had just finished working on editing a few clips for my mid-year film project at Ravensbourne University and my body seemed to still have loads of energy, hence why I am walking this late at night to catch some Pokemon.

I decided to walk along Thames River to catch a bunch of Magikarps to add onto my candy for my Gyrados as I surrounded myself with the artificial reality of this game called Pokemon Go. The lack of vibrancy and sound sent chills up my spine and made my hair stand up in the most uncomfortable way possible. I instantly regret not bringing along my earphones with me. The only things that could possibly accompany me now were Magikarps, Drowzies and the bright lights of the London Eye dancing along the reflection of the water. And even then, the dance felt like a solo one. I was not part of their little dance on the beautiful river, nor was I living in the actual Pokemon world. It felt like a desolate kind of sadness that could never be filled up in this very late night, yet there was this tiny spark of relief that no one could see me look so pathetically alone. Just me, myself and I, walking around by myself at ungodly hours with my eyes glued to a phone whilst playing bloody Pokemon Go. If anyone was to see me, they must think I'm mental.

Well, I suppose this is what I deserve for turning into an introverted gamer and film geek who would much rather stay in my room all day than to go out to bowl or catch a movie with my friends. And now there was this game that encouraged me to go out more often, which gave me opportunities to have a social life. Unfortunately, those were missed opportunities, as this game was released a tad too late to save my friendships with my mates. I could imagine them going out to Leicester Square on a Friday night to catch the latest movie that I probably wouldn't have heard of as well as to catch some Pokemon. I imagined they'd all probably jump on the Team Valor bandwagon together too, while I was on Team Mystic. Though it was the most popular team, I had not met any new friends from Team Mystic. Not like I bothered to anyways.

As I left the river, I kept walking wherever the road or Pokestops led me. At this point in time, my brain was too tired to strategize where to go. I figured even if I got lost, I still had Google Maps to lead me back to my dorm. It was just catching Pokemon without a single thought, hatching eggs and hitting up Pokestops as I make my way to somewhere.

Finally, I had arrived at a very interesting red building which I believe is called the Orbit and it wasn't just the design that made it interesting, there was also a gym here that was taken by Team Valor. I haven't been able to take over a gym before, so might as well take this chance whilst 99% of the population is asleep to take over the gym for at least a few hours of glory. I was level 17 and I had a few pretty high CP Pokemon. None of them was at 1000 yet, but there was a new source of adrenaline pumping in my veins and I was confident they were strong enough to combat a 1500 Vaporeon and a 2100 Snorlax. After all, it was 6 vs 2. Surely I would have no problem taking it over...

What I didn't notice was that someone was already in the midst of battling the gym, so I was very surprised when my 600 CP Jolteon could take down the Vaporeon in less than 30 seconds. Then, it was the Snorlax's turn and by the time I managed to defeat it, I was only down to my second last Pokemon. The gym's prestige quickly dropped to 0 and I jumped in excitement as I scrambled to pick a random Pokemon to put on the gym. However, before I could even select my slightly mediocre 580 CP Pidgeot, I was kicked out of the gym and it was taken over by Team Instinct! My eyes widened and my jaw almost dropped to the ground when I realized that someone was here too and that someone had taken the gym from me! I furrowed my eyebrows and wondered how someone could snake a gym that I worked so hard to get. However, I decided to brush it off and revived my Pokemon to go in for another gym battle against this unknown Pokemon master whose name I carelessly did not take note of.