[Chapter Two] New Places, New Faces.

Tuesday

I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. I tried to comprehend my thoughts, but they were all so blurry. Nothing made sense at that time. Three small boxes sat in the corner of my room, all I could bring were a couple of outfits and a couple pairs of shoes. One whole box is dedicated just to my drawing utensils, and the other box has books.

"Knock, knock." I looked out my window to see a short blonde lady nicely dressed in a brown pant suit. I see mother open the door and frown. The lady had some paper work in her arms. I heard the low mumbles of them speaking, my mom seemed upset.

My door then opened and my mom and the short lady appeared.

The short lady walked towards me with her hand out. Her clunky heals made a loud noise every time she took a step. She shook my hand. "Hello, I'm your Social worker, Phoebe Reynolds."

I looked at her with a blank expression. "H-hi." I was completely speechless because I knew that this was the last time I was going to see my mother for a long time. She gave me a shy expression and I couldn't read her emotion through her hurt dull eyes.

"We better get going, it's getting late." Phoebe said.

I stood up and hugged Mom. I could feel her heart beat quickly and sadness was radiating off of her. She kissed me on my forehead and pulled away from our embrace. "See you soon honey."

"Bye mom, I love you." I felt water reach my eyes and when I blinked they made their way down my cheeks curving to the shape of my face.

"I love you too honey. Always remember that." She glanced at me heart broken, then stepped away from the door way allowing us to walk through.

I grabbed two boxes and my mom carried one. We went and out it into a small car. I was no longer crying, because I felt nothing inside. It felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest. My moms face was so heart breaking. She was doing this for me. She was leaving me with some stranger for who knows how long. My eyes that were glued to my mom closed as I felt a rush of anger flood through me. I'm so selfish. I can't believe my mom is doing all this for me and I'm acting hurt. I should be thankful for all that she did for me. I didn't want her to move away. I rather her still be sick and be with me, rather then her leave me to get better.

I thought about how I felt while getting settled in the car. Phoebe got in the car and started it. I looked over at my mom. She was waving at me. We pulled away from my home, I wave at my mom and she waved back. I kept waving even after she disappeared, hidden by the trees.

Overall the car ride was silent. It was long, too long. I know my mom said I was staying in Delaware and I haven't seen any signs that say "Welcome to (random state)" yet. I just assume we are going south. I felt the car beginning to slow down. We pulled up in front of a very homey house.

The house was very nice, and set in a rural area. There were very few houses around and the back yard had a small stream, with rocks. It had a small pool, by a beautiful flower garden. The house was a light brown color with stone. It was a ranch style house with large windows. Mrs. Phoebe opened the door for me and helped me carry in my boxes. We walked up to the small house and knocked. The door opened and a waft of freshly baked cookies filled the air around me. A figure stood in the door way.

"Hello dear, I'm Catherine Wells." Said a medium sized lady. Her hair was colored grey and blonde and she had small wrinkled grey eyes. She looked to be around her mid seventies.

"H-hi, I'm, uh, I'm Quinn."

"Come on in." She said with a tiny smile. "I'll show you to your room."