Chapter 8

"Angel, wake up, we're here." Jenny felt a small shake and opened her eyes, she was lying on cold marble and Ivan's smiling face was so close, she could see the sparkle in his eyes.

"Argh! I'm awake! Personal bubble!" She sat up and quickly backed away from Ivan, which caused him to smirk. "Where are we?"

"Satin's castle. My home." Jenny stood up, brushed off her knees and arms. She looked around her, she was in a huge room, it looked like a hotel lobby. The marble under her was black onyx, that was polished and shone. Ivan started walking, after a while of marvelling at the room, Jenny ran to catch up with him.

"Why am I here?"

"To meet Satin himself."

"What?! The big evil dude that has the horns and red skin?" Ivan chuckled, that made Jenny feel stupid. "Never mind." She kept on walking.

"Angel! Wait!" She rolled her eyes and walked with Ivan then she saw her. She was a lean and tall, model qualified. Her long black hair was curled and draped onto her left shoulder. She was wearing a long black laced dress, and black high heels that clicked on the onyx.

As she got closer, her face features got clearer, dark brown eyes, similar to Ivan's. She had dark red lips, which seemed natural and no lipstick, her high cheek bones made her look like she came straight off the red carpet. Her looks made men fall to her feet, yet there was a cold look in her eyes.

"Ivan Le Doux." Jenny saw Ivan's shoulders tense up when he heard his full name. "Nice to see you again." The woman walked over and Ivan glared at her.

"Nice to see you too." He said through gritted teeth.

"Oh, I see you have company. Who are you?"

"I-I'm Jenny, Jenny Hawkwood." Jenny was nervous, the presence of the woman made her want to salut and bow down to her.

"Cara, Cara Bloodworth." Cara smiled and shook my hand.

"Commander, I-"

"Ivan, I'm talking to your mortal friend here." Cara looked annoyed, Ivan only nodded.

"Commander?"

"Yes darling, we have squads down here, I'm the commander of Squad 56. Each squad is assigned to a country."

"Why am I here?" Cara looked grave, Ivan tried to speak but she held up her hand.

"Because you bear the Devil's Mark, that means you are one of the few chosen mortals that'll take on a special job for Satin. The job can change and I'm not so sure myself. You are requested to stay in the castle until you have finished your job in the mortal world." Jenny was left speechless, Cara smiled and turned to Ivan.

"Bring Jenny up to your room, she'll be sharing with you." Ivan only nodded, not daring to protest. Cara then moved her head so she was whispering into his left ear, "And if any harm comes to her, you will be held responsible."

Then Cara turned around and walked off, when she was out of earshot, Ivan loosened up and sighed. "She's one hell of a powerful woman, don't think she's graceful here, you should see her on the battlefield."

Then Ivan started heading towards the stairs, Jenny figured that she needed to stick close to him or she would be lost in this huge castle. And who knows what they do to stray 'mortals'.