chapter one

Alexandra Holmes could finally breathe. All the way from her graduation, to her home, she had the feeling of drowning. What should have been a happy day, was not. A minute or two, she had actually felt joy, standing at the podium taking her diploma in front of the family of those who had attended Élémentaire University. A special name for a special school, trying to be fancy by taking a french word that didn't really fit the purpose of the school. But then, the murmurs began as her name was called.

Alexandra Holmes? How could she graduate?

How did she even get a diploma?

It only got worse as she came home. She could tell that her aunt didn't mean to hurt her, but her words did.

"Are you sure you should start this freelance job with Max? It could be dangerous, you can't even control your powers!"

And now, she could finally escape all their judgement. She loved her aunt with all her heart, but sometimes she just didn't understand.

"Are you okay?" A voice said from beside her bed, where she lay. Alexandra softly nodded.

"I am, don't worry about me, Max." She said, and slowly opened her eyes. "It's just been an exhausting day."

"Just let your best friend cheer you up," Max said, his green, almost grey, eyes shining with determination. "We have jut opened our own private investigation firm, and you will be turning twenty-two in under a month."

"We are not private investigators," Alexandra said with a small laugh. "People just pay us to retrieve things, or people, without getting the police involved. And of course, to use our powers."

Alexandra looked at Max as he rolled his eyes, a small smile playing on his lips.

"That sounds like private investigators to me." Max stubbornly said and Alexandra let out a defeated sigh. She watched Max as he bit his lip, probably trying to figure out more ways to cheer her up.

His hair was dark and curly, but cut short on the sides, framing his face and making his jaw appear more square that it already was. His chin was a bit pointed, and he had a four o'clock shadow, as he forgot to shave earlier. His eyes were wide, and somehow always made him look cute, no matter how angry he became. His lips were fairly thin, but somehow it fit his facial structure. With his faintly pointed ears and dark eyebrows, Alexandra could not blame all the women he had captured with a small smile. Unfortunately, Alexandra only saw him as a brother.

"You shouldn't listen to what they say, Alex." Max said.

"I don't," Alexandra argued. "I know I can kick all of their arses even though my power are a bit... unpredictable."

"But I know you listened." Max said. "You wouldn't be laying on the bed otherwise. Not when we just moved to this apartment together."

"I'm sorry," Alexandra said with a small sigh. "It's just that they never stop. I've proven myself to be better at fighting than anyone at Élémentaire, but they still judge me for not using my elemental powers. It's not my fault that everything just burns when I use them."

"You're right, it's not." Max said. "So just get your lazy self off the bed, and we'll celebrate our new apartment and job with a doughnut."

"A doughnut? Really?" Alexandra said, raising an eyebrow. "Why not a fancy dinner?"

"Because we don't have any money yet?" Max said, scrunching his eyebrows together.

"We do." Alexandra slowly said. "We both come from wealthy families."