chapter two

Alexandra sat at the dining table, a cup of tea in her hands. As she thought over what had happened the night before, Alexandra visibly cringed.

"Are you thinking about it again?" Max said, taking the seat across from her, by the smooth, marble kitchen island.

"Yes," Alexandra said with a sigh. "It was so embarrassing. If people want to hire us to act like superheroes, then they would at least want someone who doesn't shoot fireballs everywhere once they lose control over their powers."

"Maybe not," Max said. "But that's why we two are a team. I do the magic, and you fight like a madman."

"I guess I'm kind of good at that, aren't I?" Alexandra said with a small smile, taking a sip of her tea. "And it would have gone really bad if you hadn't been there last night."

"I did kind of save the situation," Max said, nonchalantly. "And our money."

"Yes, you did kind of drag me out of there before they got our names."

Max nodded, tan skin crinkling around his pink lips as he smiled.

"Should we go to the office soon?" Alexandra asked. "I don't want to be too hopeful, but we are kind of the first freelance elementals. We should have some customers."

"We open in fifteen minutes, so we are kind of in a rush." Max slowly said. "Are you dressed?"

He glanced at her, and answered the question himself, "No."

Alexandra placed her tea on the marble surface, and sprinted into her room. The moment she stepped inside, white, plush carpet enveloped her feet and she slowed down in front of the white, wooden closet. By its side, there was a rose gold clothing stand, the colour paired together nicely with her white walls.

Picking out a white blouse from the stand, she threw it on her bed, landing softly on her white comforter. The bed was large and wide, taking up a good amount of space in her room. The headboard was made of a cushion-like material, in a beige, almost white, colour. Her pillows, decorating the bed, were all in various shades of beige, rose gold and white.

Choosing a pair of black suit pants to go with her blouse, she put them on as quickly as possible. She had already thought about what she would be wearing on her first day, so it took a relatively short amount of time to get dressed. Picking a pair of black Louboutin heels, she put them on as she hopped over to her desk. Sitting down, Alexandra quickly checked her makeup, touching up her blush. The wooden desk was white, as almost everything else in her room, and had two spacious drawers on each end. Her laptop was closed on top of her desk, and pens were in rose gold jars in a corner of the desk. Her makeup brushes were on display, but her makeup was stuffed away in a drawer.

She rushed out of her room, grabbing her black leather Birkin bag as she dashed to the exit.

"We're going to be late, aren't we?" Alexandra said to Max as she rushed past him, breathing heavily.

"Yes," Max said with faint amusement. "But how are you even running in those shoes?"

"I'm not thinking," Alexandra said, opening the door and making her way to the elevator, Max not far behind her. "That's how I do it. My feet will hurt like shit when we arrive at the office, though."

"Should I call a cab?" Max asked her, once the elevator door opened and they stepped inside.

"That might be a good idea." Alexandra said, still breathing deeply.

"You should have better stamina than that, Alex." Max said, giving her a small smile. "I've seen you fight for over two hours without getting this tired."