Positions and Prices

My eyes open to blackness. I am back in sewers and walking alone. Crying. I'm about six years old and lost. "Mom? Dad?" Escape my small lips. No reply is heard.

I walk towards the sewer water and decide to close my eyes, and dive in.
_____________

I open my eyes and leave dreamland alone. Six year old me thought about killing herself. I am glad it was a dream.

I shake my head and look around. Gerard was sleeping with his jacket on top of him. I realized his blanket was on me.

I take off the blanket and drape it on him, his body relaxes as soon as I do so.

I smile shyly and sorta crawl walk out of his tent.

Taking a small portable stove, I sift through the refugee camp sight for eggs.

I find a carton in a bag, along with butter, next to Gerard's tent and begin to cook them.

Without oil, I use butter and throw the eggs into a pan.

I look around while the eggs cook.

The refugees are waking up one by one to face yet another day.

I sigh and turn off the small stove. The eggs have cooked and all I had to do was wait for Gerard to wake up.

I sit back and my mind starts to work it's gears bringing thoughts upon me. All I could focus on was Hector. What was happening to him. I knew I had to head back to camp today. Most importantly try to find something to lead me to Hector. That meant I had to leave Gerard. It was a nice friendship while it lasted.

I hear shifting in Gerard's tent knowing he was waking up.

Soon a head poked out of the tent zipper, followed by messy hair.

I waved to Gerard as he waved back and got of the tent.

"I made eggs." I said and handed him the pan.

"Thanks Lilly. Can I call you that?"

"I don't see why not."

He smiled and took forks handing one to me and keeping one in his hand. We started to eat, and before we knew it the pan was empty.

I decided to break the silence, "Thanks for putting your blanket on me." My words were above a whisper and my face felt flushed.

"No problem. You were in a ball." He laughed, "Thanks for putting it back on me."

I nodded.

"Gerard I have to leave today."

"Okay. I'll come with, where do you play on going?"

I did not expect him to answer me like that.

"Gerard you can't come with me."

"Why not?"

"Because I have to go find someone."

"I'll find them with you."

"No you just can't."

"But why I can help-"

"Just stop!"

He looked taken back by my sudden raise of voice.

"I am sorry. You are right. you should finish." He said and I nodded.

"I have to go back to my refugee camp."

I saw his face fall into a frown, but I continued.

"I need to tell my family I am okay. They are probably looking everywhere for me. They could even be out of Norway for all I know. I don't wanna be left...alone." My voice trailed off and my mind went back to Hector and how he was left alone. I realized that whole sentence I said was me rambling. I was scared. Worried.