10. a question

"effy," i called before she could leave the room. the young nurse turned and smiled gently, beckoning me to continue.

"who else lives here?" i asked curiously, tilting my head slightly and waiting for effy the nurse to reply. effy frowned, hesitating.

"no one lives here, hon. it's a hospital," she replied with a small smile that hinted a twinge of sympathy.

"i live here," i replied, frowning a little. this place is my home, isn't it? it's been since i first entered this room eight years ago. effy's smile threatened to crumble and her eyes shined with sadness. for what, i couldn't comprehend.

"of course, hon."

"is there anyone like me here?" i asked, biting my lips nervously, as if effy could read my mind and find out that hav had been visiting the past few nights without permission.

effy pursed her lips, shaking her head slightly. "there's a boy, a year older than you. but he's even more ill than you are, hon. he's in comatose."

at her answer, i couldn't help but frown. he definitely wasn't in a coma. hav was like me, and he was real and he was here. why were they lying?

"but---"

"get some rest, hon. i have to check up on the other patients, okay? i'll see you tomorrow," the nurse said in a gentle voice, and normally i wouldn't question her, but this time i felt doubt fill every inch of my brain.

hav was real, wasn't he? i touched him, and he was real and he was here.

why are they lying?