I'm The Joke

Early morning chemistry was the worst. I am so tired and it's hard to focus on all the new material but I wrote everything down so I could understand later. I liked to stare out the window in the chemistry room because it outlooked into the woodsy area. I would imagine something peaking through the trees, something magical or supernatural. I let my imagination run wild for a few minutes in between notes. The next few classes were fairly easy mostly personal work so I just worked alone and got it done. I headed to lunch, my day was over because it was a free block next and my senior privileges say that I get to leave early. On my way out of the office a boy stops me. I think his name is Tucker, I remember him from my english class. "He- hey." he said with a half smile. He seems kind of nervous and scratched the back of his neck looking down. "Hi" I responded reluctantly. Not only did I not really want to talk to him because I knew what kind of person he was but I just wanted to get out of here. "I think we should date because I like you" this time he said it with confidence. What? Why all of the sudden I mean way to drop it on me. Nothing leading up to it just right to the point. I'm sure my face looked confused but this is great. I couldn't help but briefly smile. Someone likes me it all felt exciting and new. Suddenly I felt something smash on my head and cracked under the pressure. Luke warm goo oozed in my hair and down my face, an egg. I wiped away the excess and turned to see my sister, her boyfriend, and his friends laughing at me. I turned back around to find the boy who had been professing his feelings for me laughing along. He was in on it because asking me out was part of the joke I was the joke. I felt the choking feeling build up in my throat. A pain recognizable as the urge to completely break down into tears. Before I could allow my self to cry I ran. I ran out the doors. I ran down the street all the way home until I was too out of breath to run anymore and until I was hyperventilating, my lungs about to burst. I felt the tears stream down now, the warmth streaking my cheeks cold from the air. I blew past my house too angry to stop home and made my way to the meadow. I slumped down under the oak and suddenly the anger melted away. I was only sad now. Feeling sorry for myself and crying. I felt like I needed to cry for a while to get the hurt in my chest out. I laid my head back on the tree completely filling my lungs with air and letting it blow out. Even if only for a moment it felt like my anxiety was at ease. I tried to relax my body a I wiped away my tears. I sat for a while trying to wrap my head around everything. About an hour had passed. Yawning I realize how much energy I actually used so I rose up off the ground and wiped the dirt off my butt. I'm in the mood to lock myself in my room in sleep that way I don't have to feel anything real. I took a double take on the tree when something caught my eye. It was a heart. The heart was perfectly carved into the tree. It was so perfect almost too perfect. I stepped closer curiously. This means someone else was here. Had someone found my secret spot? I had hoped it was only mine, I feel a little disappointed. What if they come while I'm here? I sighed, I don't want to think about that at the moment I just want to be under warm covers. I traced my finger over the hearts edge. Even though it was so carefully crafted the edges still had the barks rough surface covering it. The inside looked as though it was sanded down. I quickly took my hand away after feeling a sharp pain. I wince and see my blood on the tree. I don't know how I cut my finger the heart seems fairly smooth or at least too smooth to puncture skin. My eyes start to tear up again or so I thought. When I attempt to wipe away the tears there is nothing there but the tree becomes warped and mis-shapen. I begin to realize that the tree is actually moving. I step back and gaze. It's like the bark has turned into rubber and something is trying to get out. It bulges and morphs. I start to see human body shapes. A hand reaching out to me through the stretching bark and a face pushing out. I stumble back in shock, This can't be real. Suddenly, a person breaks through The tree and the oak goes back to its original form. It's a man and he is now curled up nude on the grassy meadow. I stand unable to move to him from fear. He looks human but he just came from a tree! He goes into a crouch and snaps his head up. His fluorescent green eyes meet with mine and he whispers in a hoarse voice "Eve".