Everybody likes the new boy

The walk to school was quiet but whenever I would look over at Ash I would catch him staring and we would both smile and look back at the ground. I wanted to hold his hand but I had the urge to grab his hand but I didn't. I just kept walking until we reached the school. We went to the office first to get the schedule for him and make sure everything was all set. We got a lot of stares making our way down the hallway or should I say HE got a lot of stares. Ash was attractive and male so my school would eat that up. Especially my sister speak of the devil. She made her way down the hall with the biggest smile on her face. "Evey! You didn't tell me there would be a new student how do you know him?" She kept the smile on her face but I could tell it was a fake as the rest of her. She put her her hand on Ash's shoulder and introduced herself. I grit my teeth as a pang of jealousy hit me. I looked away knowing it wasn't my place to stop anything that was happening. I was foolish to think he wouldn't find someone he wanted more the second we walked through those doors. I watched them interact and he seemed genuinely uninterested in my sister to my relief. I smiled a little as he rolled his shoulder back removing my sisters hand from it. "Hey Emma I'm Ash, Eve's boyfriend." He looked at me without even a flinch from his lie. I guess it wasn't totally a lie this was where it was going. Wasn't it? my jaw dropped but I quickly picked it up not wanting Emma to catch on that I was surprised. Ash grabbed my hand and marched me past her. From there I took the lead of walking since he didn't know where we were going. First block was a study hall so we went to the library and picked a spot near the back where no one else could bother us. I started to do some doodles. I kept thinking about what he said and avoided eye contact not wanting to face it. I almost worried he would say he was just trying to detour Emma and we weren't really going to be together. He took me by surprise again and held my hand. My eyes looked up into his. I gulped and we just looked at each other for a minute. "You know I'm not going to bite?" He smirked at me. I let a small sigh out that had a laugh in it. The rest of the day seemed to fly by not only because I dreaded it being over but because I had every class with him and I felt more comfortable than ever. The dread of having to bring him back to the cabin and go back home alone hung over my head. I couldn't lie to my dad again he wouldn't go for it, this was the only way to keep Ash in my grasp. Last block there were three minutes left. I snuck a peek over at Ash. He glanced back with confused expression and mouthed "something wrong?" I pursed my lips and the bell rang. as I put everything in my back I felt his warmth close to me. "You know frowning gives you wrinkles" he said. I giggled and turned around. "You're going to have to stay in the cabin by yourself tonight." I said putting my hands on my hips. "Now I can see why that's a problem for me but why on earth would you have an issue with it unless.." He faked gasped and looked at me with a dramatic and sarcastic look "Do you enjoy our time together?" he started to laugh so I punched him in the gut not hard but hard enough to catch him off guard. My hand was met with muscle, pure muscle. "Hey no need to get defensive you could just admit to it." he said giving me his charming crooked smile with one eyebrow raised. I shook my head smiling "Yes you dork you've grown on me," I paused and we both laughed I think he got my joke that trees grow and he had come from a tree. The hike through the woods was wet, it must have rained today. I almost slipped twice both times Ash caught me from behind. Back at the cabin we rested for a minute from the walk. I showed him where the canned food was so that he wouldn't starve here alone. "Alright I should get going back to my house so my dad doesn't get suspicious." I said and began to walk away but Ash took my hand and pulled me back. We both paused inches away from each other and held the eye contact for a moment. I felt the nervous heat rising again but I liked the feeling this time. It rose to my cheeks and tingled. I wanted him to move in and kiss me, I wanted it all right now because I was too frozen to move first. My eyes pleaded for him but still for what felt like forever neither of us moved. "Have a good night eve I will see you in the morning." And that was it he pulled away and sat on the couch. Angry with embarrassment and disappointment I left. How could he not kiss me ugh boys are so confusing. I wanted to cry. Did he not want to kiss me? I went back to the house and marched straight to my room. I didn't even go back down for dinner. I layed on my carpet and stared at my ceiling. I looked at the posters that had been there for years of the boy bands and actors and that I used to love but now they just seemed so childish. Especially childish because in all of those songs and movies I watched the boy would always kiss the girl and there just was no waiting. Maybe he just go nervous too. Too nervous to make a move like I was. I remember the way it felt when his hand touched mine so softly like he wanted me to know he was there but not wanting to disturb the frozen statues we had become.