Chapter 2: Derythian

'Don't feel stupid if you don't like what everyone else pretends to love.'- Emma Watson.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hey everyone!" Cries a voice. "It's the loner!"

Laughs ring around me as I step out of Professor Avery's classroom.

"Hey, Derythian?!" A boy named Rydian shouts. "How come the old man is your only friend? I guess it's better than some normal that can't even use his powers, though," he says meanly, taking a draw from the cigarette he shouldn't have. "When I say normal, by the way, I mean normal. You don't belong here, freak. Go somewhere you won't be a hindrance to anyone. Can you use your time travel to get to space? That'd be the perfect place!"

"That's teleportation, you idiot," I mumble under my breath.

"What's that, normal boy?" He asks, placing an arm around his sneering girlfriend.

"I think you're confusing time travel with teleportation," I point out to him rather calmly.

"You really are a teacher's pet, through and through," he laughs.

I smile my smuggest smile. "Naturally." I shove past him and walk away, fuming. I hold up my hand as I'm getting further and further away from them, and I show them my favourite number.

Stuff time travel. Stuff Alexander. Stuff my parents for getting themselves blown up, and stuff Xenia, I think as I kick a pebble along the path. 

My parents had the job of documenting all information on gifts and magic that have ever been heard of, so we can look into them more and learn more about the gift before the next person with it comes along and they have to be trained. When they died, it was when they were at work, and most of the documents got caught up in the explosion, including mine.

We start learning to use our gift as soon as we're ready. Time travel is meant to be extremely difficult so I had to wait longer than a few others to try out my gift. By the time I was ready, my parents were dead and I had nothing to learn from. Nobody really knows how time travel works as the documents were long forgotten about after Leonardo, hidden away at the back of the files, dust collecting on them. It's too dangerous for anyone to assume anything, so I'm not allowed to even attempt to figure out how to use my powers, because something might happen to me or someone around me. Hence why I'd be much better in the normal world and why time travel should just stuff itself.

There's only ever been 3 time travellers in the history of supernaturals: Leonardo, some girl named Lizzy, and me. So you can imagine, when I was born a few months after Leonardo got cast out of Xenia, people had something to say about it.

Today is a hot day and the sun is shining down upon us brightly. Autumn is approaching so the winds are high on a night time. The blossom trees will soon be bare and apples will blanket the floor of the woods leading into the faerie pod.  Huts surround the white mansion in the centre of everything, the mansion making the huts look like bug houses.

The huts are homes for the supernatural students and their families, but the simul get the white mansion because they're the more advanced, intelligent supernaturals. They're our, 'Elders.' I feel like laughing at the thought of Alexander considered as my Elder.

Before mum and dad died, we all used to live in one of the huts. It was cute and cosy and held lots of memories; like when dad used to always spin me around the room on his shoulders, pretending we were flying and he was the aeroplane. Or when my mum and I used to talk about everything and anything, and she would make me laugh until it hurt.