Chapter 3: You don't need wings to fly

My eyes were staring, but not really staring, they were unfocused looking in the general direction of the slightly buzzing ceiling fan.

They had gotten me off of the roof, after much coaxing, begging and uttered curses about troublesome rebel-teens. 

I smiled a little at the thought of a group of adults in starch white coats begging for a small slender kid to get off the edge of a building. 

It was someone saying my name that brought be back to reality. It was the now nervous looking nurse.

"Esther... Esther!" She said to me irritably. "Your parents are on the line."

I looked at her with my now focused eyes, She was standing at the edge of my bed with her pale hand over phone mic.

"Tell them i'm sleeping..." I muttered. "Or dead..." I said more quietly.

She made an agitated grunt and handed me the phone. I huffed and put the speaker to my ear.

"Heyy... guys..." I said nervously.

"What the heck were you thinking Esther!?" You could have died!" Said an angry, slightly grainy voice on the other end.

"Yeah... That's kinda the point." I said raking my hand through my hair.

I heard someone sigh audibly.

"Please, for the love of god. Keep yourself alive for just a few more days... S-Sweetie." Stuttered the voice. 

Or that might just be that horrible call quality, either way I was bored of the phone call.

"Fine." I said, quite clearly annoyed.

I hung up the phone and hastily handed it back to the anxiously waiting nurse. I rolled over so my back was facing her and glared at the side table. Some past patient had scribbled something on the underside of the table, I had to squint to read it. 'when there us no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth' I sighed inwardly. The dead already do walk the earth... I thought to myself. They're sometimes called humans. We're a dead species.

I thought back to when I was on the rooftop, I felt free despite the holes in my skin and clothes. I wondered how free I would have felt if i had just let myself fall, it wouldn't have taken much effort. So why was it so hard? 

I wasn't afraid of death. No. And I wasn't afraid that I couldn't fly. You don't need wings to fly.

I guess I was afraid of hurting someone other than myself for once. But then again, everything is temporary so why bother? I'm just one of those dead humans that walk the earth, like a zombie.

A 'Falling in Reverse' song lyric ran through my head and I smiled, because sadly, it was true.

I walk a fine line between coping and insanity

~~~

A few days had passed, nothing eventful happened at all really. But all i really cared about was getting out of this horrid place. The hospital was absolutely dismal, it was sucking my soul out.

But lucky for me...

I don't have a soul...