Chapter 3

The tournament is three weeks away and already there are demons camped outside the stadium. They have come from miles around just to see the mayhem and carnage awaiting the contestants. If they only knew that a demon witch and her guard are competing I'm not so sure they would be here.

"Yes they would," Hiei broke into my thoughts, "These demons you see live and breathe these tournaments. They would rather take a chance on being killed in their seats by watching a fight than be in the safety of their homes watching it on their TVs." I just shook my head.

Hiei brought me to Gandara so I could see the masses lined up already just to get the best seats because I just couldn't believe they would come this early, but apparently I was wrong. Suddenly a bright green lightning bolt flashed across the sky. My head turned in its direction and seen it came from Raizen's sparring field.

"Is that Katana?" Hiei asked out loud. I smiled proudly, "Yes. He's controlling it better. Let's go see him." We jumped out of the tree we were standing on and raced to Tourin.

Yusuke, who returned yesterday, was standing on the hill next to the field staring at Katana with his mouth open. I placed my finger on his chin and raised it up until his mouth closed. He chuckled, "Wow! Is that what training with you does because if so I'm ready!"

I looked over at Katana, who had green lightning sparking all around him, and watched him levitate into the air sending a swarm of lightning into the sky. He looked amazed that he could do that. His eyes filled with wonder as he floated back to the ground.

"Did you see that Baashti? I can make them go further now!" He excitedly pointed at the streaks of green lightning racing through the sky.

"Yes I see. I also can tell that your control has improved. Hokushin said that he has been working with you on that."

He nodded vigorously and rushed to my side, "So is it true that fire demons can also do lightning attacks?" I looked to Hiei, who had a smirk on his face. He inclined his chin at me, "Why don't you show him Baashti?" I glared at Hiei. He knows I hate showing off.

"What's wrong with your showing him? Or can you not power up that high to be able to garnish electricity?" I was goading him and he took the bait.

Hiei snarled and stepped in front of me. He threw his cloak at my face, but I caught it easily. "Fine, the boy wants a show, I'll give him a show."

Yusuke and I chuckled under our breaths. I placed my arm around Katana's chest protectively and slid him behind me. Hiei powered up, his aura a devil red color mixed with black, almost my colors. His aura alone made the three of us step back and stagger our positions.

Hiei then held out his left arm and created black, crackling lightning energy. He released it from his palm and it hit a boulder, obliterating it. He powered down and turned to me, "Satisfied?"

"Very. Thank you Hiei." He grunted something about 'damn formalities' again and jerked his cloak off my shoulder.

"You see the difference between us Katana? We have to power up and create an electrified version of our fire, which is why it turns black. You can create lightning out of the blue and your attack is more powerful because of the pure, raw energy you can summon. I cannot believe how far you have come. I'm proud of you, little one."

Katana beamed like I just gave him an award. "Baashti, um.. I'm hungry, though." Katana said to me while lowering his head.

I wrapped my arms around him, "You don't need to feel ashamed for needing to eat more than once a day now. Your body is going through a major change and you are going to crave more sustenance the stronger you get. It is perfectly natural. Now go eat."

Katana smiled and took off towards the tower. When he was out of ear shot Yusuke asked, "How many times today?" I shrugged, "I think this makes the fifth time he has needed blood since he woke up. Yesterday he only needed three."

About a week ago we started noticing changes in Katana. His appetite had grown, he's gotten taller, his eyes are more vivid green and he gets more powerful everyday. No one can say if this is just a demon version of puberty or if it's his Ligetenatan blood waking up inside him. Either way, we are a little concerned about our Katana.

"I'm sure it is normal for his species. He will be just fine." I assured Yusuke. Hiei turned to me and said, "I believe those are called famous last words."

I was meditating on a boulder close to Raizen's grave when I sensed my father approaching. "Hello my princess. Sorry to disturb your meditation, but I need to talk to you."

I looked down to where he stood with his hands clasped in front of his chest, a telling sign that something is bothering him. "I'm concerned about Katana competing in the tournament. I would like for you to try to talk him out of it. He's growing more powerful everyday, but I don't want to lose him to that witch. It's hard enough that you have to face her, but Katana is so young.." Father trailed off, rubbing his hand down his face.

Katana and I already had this talk. I begged him to reconsider, but he reminded me that I promised him he would have his revenge for the murder of his mother and the only family he has ever known. I can't go back on my word, even if all I want to do is barricade him in an underground bunker somewhere until this is over.

"Father this is his choice. No one can convince him not to do this, but himself. He has every right to fight the ones who tore his mother away," I jumped down and hugged my father, "Just like nothing would stand in my way to avenge you if I were in his shoes. I don't like him competing anymore than you, but he will be alright. We will protect him as much as we can."

Father nodded, "You are right my daughter. Well I am going with Enki to Gandara to greet the masses who are already gathered. Would you like to go or has Hiei still commanded you to stay put?"

"I am under house arrest until further notice. Something about i can't stay out of trouble for five minutes or it finding me." Father laughed. He gave me a final hug before he departed.