~Chapter Thirteen~

In spite of only getting four hours of sleep, Melanie was anxious to go see her children so she was wide awake by 6:30 Saturday morning. She smiled as she looked over at Chris who was snoring softly. He looked so young in his sleep, his black hair tousled, his face totally relaxed. Melanie then glanced down at her left hand where her new engagement ring rested. She had been so surprised when he had pulled it out of his jeans pocket. When he asked her to marry him, she honestly didn't think he'd have any ring with him last night. She smiled at the memory of how he gave it to her in the early morning hours.

"Oh," Chris stretched in the bed, the sheet slipping lower on his torso causing Melanie to flush slightly. "I almost forgot," he said getting up not in the least bit concerned about being totally undressed. Melanie, however, couldn't help the blush that reddened her cheeks as she watched him walk towards his clothes where he had them draped over a chair.

Chris came back and snuggled into the bed next to her. "I've had this since last November, Mel. I got it right after I watched you dance in your pink slippers," he watched her cheeks flame at that memory. "I want you to know that's just how in love with you I am." Gently he opened the ring box showing her a stunning diamond and ruby ring.

"Oh! Oh, my," Melanie gasped, her breath caught in her throat. The ring had a three carat emerald cut diamond surround by rubies and smaller diamonds set in a platinum band. Chris grabbed her left hand and gently slid the ring on her finger, it was a perfect fit.

"I chose this ring because it reminded me of us. You are like the diamond" he began to explain. "You are my rock, the light I need to guide me home, to anchor me, and to make me whole. The rubies are all the love I feel for you and," he grinned as he rubbed his neck sheepishly, "well they reminded me of your cute blushing cheeks. I hope you don't mind."

Melanie could only stare at the ring shaking her head.  It was truly the most beautiful ring she had ever seen.

"I kind of already have our matching wedding bands too," Chris smiled as he was watching her. "Your's is platinum, like this one, with more diamonds and rubies in it and mine is just a titanium band with a darker etching inlay. I hope that's all right. If you don't like them we can take them back and pick something else out together." He started to flush slightly thinking he had made a mistake getting the rings without her. Melanie just grabbed him and kissed him.

"No," she shook her head against his lips. "This is perfect. What you've chosen is perfect. I love the ring and I love you." And with that no more words were needed as they fell back into each other's arms on the bed.

Slowly moving Chris' arm off her and sliding out from beside him, Melanie stood up and quietly padded over to her suitcase. She was a little sore this morning, it had been so long since she had been loved so throughly by a man. In all honesty, she wasn't sure it had ever been that perfect with David. Chris was so gentle and patient with her that she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt she was totally loved by him. After last night sitting here in the light of day, all of her doubts were gone. She knew she loved Chris and he loved her in return.

Melanie knew she needed a shower before they headed out. Gathering the necessary items she almost laughed as she picked up the box that sat unopened in her makeup bag. That silly box had tormented her so much last night when in reality she had nothing to worry about. Then she gasped and grabbed the box. She and Chris hadn't used any protection last night, they had been too consumed with each other. Slowly Melanie sat down on the end of the bed,starring at the box. If something did happen, would it really be a bad thing?  Slowly smiling she had to admit that it wouldn't be that bad at all.

Chris stirred in the bed, one eye peeking at the clock and noting the time was close to seven, he looked around for Melanie.  He saw her sitting on the edge of the bed with something in her hands. Slowly coming up behind her, he kissed her neck and mumbled a soft "morning" into her ear. Glancing at what was in her hands he froze. He knew what she was thinking. Last night he was careless, he had done something he had never done in his 32 years of living.