~Chapter Twenty~

Melanie gulped and looked at Josh then turned to look at Chris who was now squeezing her hand. She found Chris staring at her with the biggest smile on his face and the brightest twinkle in his eyes.

"Mel," Chris said gathering her into his arms. "This is the best day of my life. I started off terrified thinking cancer or worse and now, we're having a baby!" Chris let her go and fist pumped into the air. Melanie couldn't help it, watching Chris his excitement was so contagious she let out a small laugh. Josh, on the other hand, had no qualms about laughing at his friend and a deep belly laugh rolled out of him.

"Congrats man," Josh said giving Chris a sideways man hug. "Amy will be thrilled. We haven't told a lot of people because of her previous miscarriage but she's 11 weeks along too."

"Oh man!" Chris exclaimed. "This is an awesome day!  Is Mel free to leave?" Chris asked Josh grinning from ear to ear. "We've got some shopping to do."

"We do?" Melanie asked. "I thought we had everything for next weekend." Melanie frowned slightly looking at Chris.

"Oh we do," Chris replied, "but you're pregnant, Mel. We need a bigger house and to pick out baby stuff and."

"Slow down Chris," Melanie said with a smile. "Let's get through next weekend and the honeymoon and then we will talk houses and baby items, okay."  Chris just beamed and nodded. He honestly didn't think the smile would ever leave his face.

"Let me go get the nurse to give you your iron and vitamin B shots and I'll have your scripts and discharge papers ready," Josh said with a smile. "Congrats again you guys, I'm thrilled for you." 

Melanie and Chris thanked their friend as he left the room. Chris just looked at Melanie and knelt down beside her. Tenderly he cupped her face and kissed her in a way that left her totally breathless.

"Oh Mel," he whispered staring at her with so much love and happiness Melanie thought her heart would explode. "You've made me the happiest man alive. I'm so sorry you've gone through everything you have with David, but I'm so thankful he gave you up because now you're all mine."

Melanie sniffled and grabbed him in a tight hug. Just as she was about to kiss him the nurse hustled in.

"Oops, sorry." The nurse said with a grin at the couple. "Let me give you those Dr. Waters," she said as she handed him the scripts for all Melanie's vitamins. Turning to Melanie she explained the discharge paperwork and then administered the vitamin shots. "Okay guys, you're free to go." She said rolling Melanie's sleeve down. "And congratulations Dr. and Mrs. Waters. We are all thrilled for you."

Melanie grinned at Chris. "Mrs. Waters," she said with a smile. "I love the sound of that."  With Chris' help he gathered Melanie's paperwork and purse together and led her to his car. He called the school and explained that Melanie was anemic and would be working half days for the rest of the week.   He dropped Melanie off, assuring her he'd pick up the kids in an hour wanting her to take a nap. Melanie called her OBGYN's office and set up an appointment for the following Thursday. Lying down, she quickly fell asleep while Chris played with her hair. Noticing she was asleep he leaned over and kissed her forehead and her stomach and left to get the kids.

The week flew by. Mary Beth came into town on Wednesday and agreed to babysit for Melanie on Thursday thinking she was getting her manicure and pedicure for the wedding. While Melanie did make it to get her nails done, she also snuck off to her doctor's appointment. Chris knew she had an appointment sometime that week, but Melanie was being quiet about the whole thing. They hadn't told their families yet, they wanted to surprise everyone at the wedding reception.

"Hello, Melanie," Dr. Phillips said with a friendly smile. "I see here that you're expecting. When was your last cycle?"

"I'm not sure honestly," Melanie blushed. "I've been dealing with my ex-husband in a custody issue and planning my wedding so I've been under a lot of stress."