Your Ticklish Babysitting Story

Young and naive, you had no idea what you would be getting yourself into when you took the babysitting job for the Petersons.

You thought it would be an easy way to make money over the summer break.

A simple distraction from the sophomoric pressures of high school.

Three children, two girls and one boy, ages ten, eleven, and twelve, with two cats.

'How bad can three kids be for five hours?' you asked yourself.

You did everything right.

The first two hours were filled with games, snacks, and a movie.

They shared a healthy interest in spending time with each other, and even more surprising, with you, rather than cooping themselves up in their rooms all evening.

Despite this, it was all so easy, easier than you expected it to be.

The children were kind, well behaved, and even sort of fun.

After the movie, it was bedtime, and you thought that they would go down easy.

The twelve year old girl starts tickling the ten year old boy. As she scribbles her short nails inside of his armpits, the boy doubles over onto the floor in colorful laughter.

You decide to save the boy by tickling the girl. You squeeze her sides until she begins bellowing tiny laughs and lets go of her brother.

The boy begins retaliating against the older sister while the eleven year old comes to her rescue.

The middle sister notices your bare foot and gives your sole a light scratch.

You shriek and jump away, letting go of the older sister.

You had somehow forgotten just how ticklish you were on your feet.

Now the middle sister is giving you a devious grin.

'Not my feet,' you say, still giggling. 'I surrender, you win. I am super ticklish on my feet.'

You see the children stop tickling each other and turn to you.

'No more playing,' you say, trying to assume a sense of authority after your giggling confession. 'It's time for bed.'

The children plead, clearly still wide awake.

'Aw come on', 'Pleeeeease', and 'Just one more game.'

You sigh and give into their adorable faces.

'Fine, but only one more and then it's straight to bed.'

The children cheered.

'What game would you like to play?' you ask, hoping that this final venture will tire them down to sleep.

'Interrogation!' the children cheered.

You had never heard of such a game before.

'Okay,' you say hesitantly. 'How do we play?'

The children scurry away like bugs. One heads into the bedroom, another a supply closet, and one more the dining room.

The middle child returns with a toy, a small stuffed turtle.

'You have to hide this from us," she says. You still do not completely understand the nature of the game, but you play along.

You take the turtle into the guest bedroom and put it underneath one of the pillows.

You return to the living room to find a chair from the dining room set up in the center. The eldest child stands waiting for you to return.

She tells you to sit and you obey.