Horses, Horses, Horses.... Ding-a-ling-a-ling!

Chapter 9 - Horses, Horses, Horses... Ding-a-ling-a-ling!

Mikaila woke up to her alarm and sat up groggily, she went and shut off the music and remembered that Bruno had offered to make breakfast. So she crawled back into bed opting to sleep for another hour.

Eventually she woke up and padded into the bathroom and to her closet. She threw on her favorite jeans and an old T-shirt  before putting on light makeup and putting her hair up in a bumper bang and ponytail. Walking out of her room and heading towards the kitchen, her thoughts were lost until she heard the familiar sound of a horse’s hooves clip clopping across concrete.

Wondering what on earth it was Mikaila wandered out onto the back porch. What she saw caused her eyes to about bug out of her head and her jaw to drop. A man was leading a beautiful painted mare across the patio towards the back lawn. The man was old, his face and skin had a leathery look to them and he moved like a timeworn farmer. He had to at least be in his seventies. Mikaila smiled to herself upon inspection of the old man and his friendly demeanor.

“Mikaila!” she was startled out of her thoughts and turned to see Bruno leading a second horse across the patio. A big grey Belgian horse with a spotted grey and black mane. Mikaila was in shock, and in love at first sight. Bruno smiled and led the horse towards the porch, “Guten morgen, how are you feeling?” he was grinning as Mikaila took the few steps down to the concrete to where Bruno held fast to the reins of the beautiful creature. She approached slowly allowing the horse to get used to her presence and smell before she reached up and ran her hand down his strong neck.

“He’s beautiful,” she said a grin spreading across her face.

“I’m glad you think so,” Bruno half laughed, “His name is Mondstein, It means Moon Stone.” He informed her as she ran her hands through his mane.

“How appropriate,” said gazing at the beautiful beast in complete happiness.

“Where did they come from?”

“Oh an old friend owed me a favor,” he grinned, “Thought they’d make you feel better, a little more at home.”

“Oh Bruno, I don’t know what to say or how to thank you,” she turned her gaze away from Mondstein to look at Bruno.

“Well, you could-”

“Was ist das?!” he was interrupted by a surprised Paul who’d just come out on the porch.

“Paul! Aren’t they gorgeous?”

“Ja, but where did they come from?”

“That would be my doing, sorry Paul I should have told you, I thought we could go riding today is all,” he was talking to Paul but continued to watch Mikaila.

“Huh, sounds good, I’ll get the others.” Paul turned back into the house.

“Ah! You must be Mikaila, I’ve heard a bit about you,” the Old man approached Mikaila winking at Bruno as he said this.

“Oh, uh, hi nice to meet you.. uhm..”

“Bernard, just call me Bernard,” the old man said in a very thick accent, as though he hadn’t been speaking English long, or at least hadn’t very often.

“Bernard,” She smiled kindly shaking his hand.

“Ja, Bernard here has been a good friend for many many years,” Bruno said sharing a kind look with Bernard.

“They are both so beautiful,” Mikaila gushed,

“Oh there are a few more in the trailer out front,” he grinned widely,