Chapter 28

She went into the bathroom and checked her makeup, hair and did a detailed inventory of her outfits, deciding on the translucent blouse and the snug skirt to go with the high heels. This was her battlefield and it was here she controlled the action. She strode back to the living room and selected her music then called down to the desk for a selection of wine to be sent up along with a tray of appetizers; the chef would know what she liked.

She decided that if they both showed up and overlapped, she would put Wilfred off until another time; Rob was the one she needed at the moment. His clout with the police and the courts would be needed if she hoped to evade the attack by Mindy Cowls.

The door chime sounded and she went and admitted the room service waiter, directing him to place the cart alongside the settee adjacent to the sofa. He efficiently placed the appetizer tray on the table between them and set out the wine selection, asking if she wished any particular one opened first.

"I think the chardonnay. We'll probably move to the reds a little later." He allowed a minute smirk and bowed gracefully, opening the wine and setting it in the silver ice stand.

"Can I do anything else for you, Mrs. Whyst?" His proximity blared the double meaning of his question and she patted his cheek in a motherly fashion and steered him from the room.

Jeannette poured herself a small glass of the wine and mused about accessing the young man later if things went well. It certainly couldn't hurt having a hotel employee to be her fly on the wall. The phone rang again and she was informed that she had a visitor who would be arriving at the service entrance and taking the service elevator to her floor. Since they had no idea who it was the desk manager wanted confirmation before admitting anyone to the hotel on her behalf.

"It's fine, Rodney. I'm expecting the party. We are having a business consult and identities are a desired currency with regard to our meetings."

"I understand completely, Mrs. Whyst. Your meeting will be off the record with our staff."

"I appreciate that, Rodney and see that my husband's account reflects that would you."

"Thank you, Mrs. Whyst that is very generous."

"And Rodney, the young man who delivered my order . . ."

"Carter, ma'am. Lonnie Carter."

"Yes. Thank you again, Rodney."

So, she smiled, Rob decided what was in his best interest after all. She checked the mirror again and then paused near the door and awaited his arrival. The chime went and she shook her head, assumed a smile and opened the door.

"Mayor Brewster, what a pleasure."

Rob barged in and stood staring around the room. He saw the table with the appetizers and the ice bucket of wine and set his jaw defiantly.

"I'm so glad you decided to come." She took his reluctant arm and led him to the seats. He broke free and chose a spot on the large sofa. Jeannette smiled and sat on the settee, turned toward him and crossed her legs.

"Can I offer you a glass of wine?"

"I didn't come here to socialize, Jeannette."

She reached over and took a tiny cheese covered cracker and placed it in her mouth, chewing thoughtfully.

"No, Mr. Mayor, you came here because you are concerned about my request for a favour."

"Okay fine. What favour?"

Jeannette poured two glasses of wine and pushed one across the table toward him. Rob didn't move, he just stared at her.

"I have a story to tell you. It's not a pretty one and it leaves me quite vulnerable but it's necessary to explain my request."