Chapter 34

Deborah sat at a table on the patio absently twirling a straw in her soft drink. Three other people were sprawled around on lounges and the thermometer on the wall registered ninety-seven degrees. Frank Sinatra crooned about the summer wind, from a patio speaker.

A woman emerged from one of the poolside rooms and waddled, in an ill-advised bikini outfit, into the shallow end of the pool, setting her hat on her head, glasses over her eyes and a pocketbook wrapped in saran.

Gordon looked down from his upstairs den and wondered about Deborah. Since a recent meeting with Grace she had been withdrawn and somewhat sad and he couldn't determine why. He finished what he was doing and went down to the office, giving her another look before getting on the phone and calling the Chamber of Commerce.

"Roger Dortmund."

"Roger, it's Gordon Hardy. I was wondering what the arrangement was now for hotel owner meetings and Chamber business. Are you the man to see now?"

"Do you have a problem?"

"My questions should have answered that, Roger."

"Right. Well- temporarily we are running the Chamber by committee."

"So that means you are making all the decisions."

There was a pause and Gordon swore he could hear Roger's chest swelling.

"The others never have contributed much, as you know."

"Okay then, you're the go to guy if I need information."

"I will try to accommodate any inquiries to the Chamber with dispatch."

"Super, Roger. Just wanted to know the lay of the land. Uhm- heard anything about Jeannette?"

"Nothing good, but I won't say more. I think Mrs. Whyst has shot her bolt in Santa Gordo business and society in general."

"Okay. Thanks, Roger. Talk to you later."

He looked out the window and Deborah was putting her drink can in the waste container and ambling slowly back to the office.

"Doing the deep think out there?" He chuckled lightly.

"I don't know what to think. It seems everything has been turned inside out since that Mindy arrived and now that she's gone, there's a huge void in my life."

"Oh come now, you weren't even close to her."

"I didn't mean it that way. I- oh what's the use."

"I don't understand this void bit."

"I spoke to Grace and she tells me that Lolly and Torri are being singled out for snubbing by the other women because they were members of Jeannette's, CWSG and they are also spending a lot of time at the Palm with Jeannette."

"Her what?"

"Concerned Women of Santa Gordo."

"The con-what--" Gordon laughed aloud. "What the hell is that?"

Jeannette built a network of women in the town who held various positions in strategic places. They used their advantages to advance the cause of the group. Three of them were on the council. Lolly, Torri and another woman, Elaine somebody. They vetoed the Mayor's first proposal and that led to his ultimate demise."

"So your friends are persona non grata with the unconcerned women of Santa Gordo now?"

"I don't even know if they were really friends, Gordon, that's the void I'm talking about. Grace is the only woman I trust any more . . . maybe Kit."