Chapter 2 - My Bestfriend is a Celebrity

Chapter 2

"Alexander Campbell?" I narrowed my eyes, "I get it how you changed your first name, but how'd you manage to change Campbell to Martin?" I knew about him. He was Elayn's favorite actor for Pete's sake. I first familiarized with him when I saw Elayn watching once of his movies. I couldn't believe that he was standing right in front of my very own eyes. I wondered how my little sister would react if ever she was the one standing in my position.

"I used my mother's last name so no one can recognize who I am," he explained. "The principal managed to convince the teachers that my name is Xander Martin. The principal is a very good friend of my father so he asked him a favor which he complied without hesitations," The principal, huh? I couldn't believe that he was also behind this. Did he know the consequences of letting a celebrity study here? If ever the secret got out, news would spread like wildfire. Who knew what would happen after that. I was right when I told him that he could be the most popular guy in school.

"You want to be normal, huh?" I asked him. It was an obvious answer, but I asked anyway. I wanted to hear him mutter the words himself.

"Yes," he answered. I realized that I was still seeing Alexander Campbell so I searched for his glasses and placed it back on.

"Buy another one that cannot be easily broken," I suggested. I admired him for the fact that he wanted to be normal, but we all knew that I couldn't make friends with a celebrity. It was too risky for me and for...him. "Good luck with that Xander" I said. "Don't worry, I will not tell anyone. Just stay away from me and you won't be bullied anymore, understand?"

"What do you mean by that?" he asked. That was right. I couldn't be friends with this person even if he was a nerd or a superstar. I would just make his life a living hell. And I didn't want that to happen to someone who took the risk of trying to be normal.

"You'll get it sooner or later," I acted all calm and confident, like I was saying these words every day. I was about to walk away until I felt a hand wrapped over mine. I looked at Xander who grabbed my hand. Staring right into his eyes, I felt electricity flowing through my veins.

"Does that mean we can't be friends?" he asked. I saw sadness hidden beneath his eyes. I didn't know what he was being sad about, but all I knew was that it didn't concern me.

"Yes, and that includes talking to me, looking at me or making any eye contact. Understand?" I brushed the celebrity's hand away and started to walk again. This time, no hand grabbed mine to stop me. Emptiness filled my body. I tried to ignore it, and hopefully, I did.

***

Roxanne was glaring at me. She was in my class and she was glaring at me like I was the most delicious meal in the world. Not to mention that Brad and Tim were staring at me too. Their eyes showed that they already knew that I helped the new transfer student and ruined their 'perfect' plan.

Finally, the bell signaled us that school was already over. I packed my things and muttered a friendly 'goodbye' to my teacher. I walked outside the room and saw Roxanne and Xander talking. I continued to walk like noticing them was the hardest thing to do.

"If you don't want to get bullied, stay away from Alayn and join us," that's what I heard. I was getting tired of hearing the sentence over and over again. I was pretty sure that Xander would just agree because he wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I walked the crowded hallway filled with students who were also excited to go back home.

***

I opened the door and was immediately greeted by Elayn. I noticed that she was watching another Alexander Campbell movie again. My, my, if she only knew what was going on with my life right now, "You really like him, huh?" I patted her head, "Alexander Campbell, I mean," she grabbed my hand and dragged me to the couch. I sat beside her as I tried to familiarize with Alexander Campbell's features.