Chapter 3 - My Bestfriend is a Celebrity

Chapter 3

"Sorry," I blurted out when I realized what I was doing. I pulled away from him not wanting to meet his eyes. So many questions lingered around my head. Why was he helping me? I believed that Roxanne already explained the rules of the game. "You can go now," I didn't want this celebrity to be in danger because of me.

He then sat beside me and asked, "How come you don't want to be friends?"

"You know why," I answered, not meeting his gaze.

"Look," he sighed, "I'm asking because I don't know why. Is it because of Roxanne?"

"Obviously," I stood up and grabbed a shirt from my locker, "Look away," when he did, I lifted my ripped shirt up and slipped into a new one. I leaned on the wall and he looked at me again. "It's not just because of her. It's because of the whole student body. And I don't want someone to get bullied because of me,"

"And what if I tell you that I don't care if I get bullied?" I eyed him, looking at him like he was insane, but found nothing instead of seriousness. I didn't want to assume that he was willing to take the risk for me. I just couldn't.

"Well, I care. You'll just ruin your life, Xander," I gave him a look, a look saying that he was insane about wanting to be friends with me, "You can have any friend you want, why me?"

After a minute, he answered my question, "It's because you see me for who I truly am,"

"How can you say that? You don't even know what's going on inside my mind,"

"From the way you call me and from the way you treat me," he replied urgently like he was sure of his answer. What did he mean by that? What was wrong with calling him Xander? "You don't see me as a celebrity. You see me as Alexander the normal guy, not Alexander the celebrity," I stared at him and I could see that he was staring at me too. It was like he was seeing through my soul. I could see sincerity in his eyes. He really wanted to be friends with me.

I then asked an intriguing question, "Look, even if I make friends with Xander, sooner or later your cover will be blown as a celebrity. You will forget me sooner or later. So, why bother?"

"That will never happen, I swear," sincerity was visible in his eyes again. He believed every word that he was saying.

"It's your choice. But I warned you," I then headed towards the door, "Better get out of the girls' changing room if you don't want to get in trouble," when I reached the door, I called him to my shoulder, "And Xander...thank you," when I went to my class, no one ever took notice of me which made me contented after what happened.

***

I was heading home until I saw a black Porsche beeped beside me and my bicycle. You heard it right. I was riding my bicycle on the way home. The window rolled down revealing a troublesome celebrity. What the hell was he planning to do now? "Hey, Alayn," he called while I continued riding my bicycle.

Even though I was oblivious to my surroundings to ignore Xander, I kept my eyes on the road, "What?"

"Please come with me," he said, "I want you to meet my parents,"

I immediately came to halt when he mentioned that. And obviously, the car halted too. "What?" I raised my hands up in the air even though I looked stupid. "Are you insane? Me meeting your parents? Why the heck would I do that?"

"Because I saved you earlier and you now owe your life to me," well, I guessed he had a point there. He didn't even wait for my answer when he ordered one guy who was wearing a bodyguard's outfit inside the Porsche, "Alberto, please take care of her bicycle," then 'Alberto' went outside the car and immediately strolled towards me and shifted me off my bicycle. He carried me for Pete's sake! As far as I knew, I didn't give him the permission to do that. But I knew I couldn't do anything about it, he was just doing his job.

Alberto then shoved me inside the car without much hurting me. "You're going join me whether you like it or not," he said while he made that beaming half-smile that I was sure could send all the girls to heaven.

"You're kidnapping me! I'm going to call the cops and send you to jail!" then he laughed. I made an exaggerating face. We all knew that whenever I was around this guy, nothing bad was going to happen to me.

"See, Harry?" he said to the driver. "This girl treats me well," Harry the driver gave him a smile. I was not catching up with their exchange glances but I didn't ask to find out. It was their business and I needed not to lay a finger in any 'personal' matters like that. I knew that since I couldn't do anything about this, I texted my mom saying that I would be at a friend's house and I was going to come home late.

"Why do you suddenly want me to meet your parents?" I asked him, hoping to get a reasonable answer. And hopefully, I did.

"It's nothing. I just want them to see my first real friend," I knew better than to ask him about his celebrity friends. He was talking about him having friends in a normal school without anyone noticing that he was a celebrity.

"Okay? This is just one time, okay? For saving me earlier," I slowly told him each word, emphasizing the 'saving' part.

He then started pouting and let me tell you, he looked cute when he pouted. Wait. I didn't say that he looked cute, did I? "Ah! Why?"

"It's because I'm normal," I told him and he laughed again. When he laughed, it was like a thousand angels went to gather around my ear just to sing with the angelic voice of theirs. I tried to remove the thoughts from my head. I was being a hypocrite saying all these things.

He pouted again, "I'm normal too,"

I blurted out without thinking. He was staring at me again with his gray eyes that made me jiggle into place. Now that I mentioned his eyes, one word: Beautiful. "I know."

***

When I got out of the car, I found myself staring at a huge mansion. It was like seeing a small replica of the White House, except that the colors of his house were red and white. "Is this what you call normal?" I raised an eyebrow again, "Since when did a house this big has ever been called normal?" instead of answering my question, he grabbed my hand and gently dragged me inside the mansion.

I then suddenly felt a jolt of electricity running through my veins. It then came to me that we were in fact, holding each other's hands. I then felt this tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach. So now I was having butterflies in my tummy too?

***

When we got inside the Campbell's mansion, two adults greeted us with such a welcoming manner. I was pretty sure that they were Xander's parents. His mother was very pretty, well, her face was very familiar. I saw her on one of the television shows before. His father was very handsome also, but Xander got his looks from her mother, or was I the only one thinking that?

"Mom, Dad, meet Alayn," he then released my hand to slip his hand to my waist. What the hell was he doing right now? "She's the friend I'm talking about on the phone," on the phone? He was talking about me? Since when?

"Hey sweetie!" her mother gave me a very big hug and she kissed both of my cheeks. "You're very lovely, this is the only time my child brought a girl home," she winked. I stared at Xander and I saw that his cheeks turned red.

"It's Alayn right?" said his father. I took a nod and he extended his hand towards me "I'm Harold, Alexander's father and this is Sharlene," he nudged at Xander's mother. I then took Harold's hand and shook it.

***

I waited at the living room while Xander said that he was going to call his siblings to meet me. Xander's mother was currently cooking our dinner. I was willing to bet that she was a good cook. She did have the hands of a cook, wrinkled but still beautiful.

Three people came stumbling down the stairs while Xander walked behind them like this happened almost every day. "Xander, your siblings?" I asked him even though he was still a little far away from me.

"Yes," he answered, "Twins and a sister," then they ran towards me. I took their features one by one and saw similarities in Xander.

"Are you his girlfriend?" the older girl asked.

"What?" I asked, wide-eyed and saw Xander grinning at the corner of my eye.