Chapter ~23~The First Clue

"Hello thank you for coming Miss. Melain and Jenny, please come to my office do you want anything water, juice?" I just wanted to know where Josh was and Lilly took the words right out of my mouth "I just want to know where my son is" "okay have a seat ma'am" the detective folded his arms on the table and had a reassuring look on his face. I was so anxious my legs were shaking and I expected the worst coming out of his mouth. "Okay so here is the deal, we found the silver Honda in the woods" both Lilly and I's eyes lit up like fire and both of our body movements changed. "The unfortunate part is the car is completely smashed. The windshield is smashed out, and the bumper and back is crushed. Its deep into the highway so we can't rule it as an accident, the problem is, he is nowhere to be found. We looked everywhere, I had cops and K-9's out for hours searching the woods and found nothing not even a clue as to where his body is" Lilly's hand was placed over her mouth in a shocked state and I was frozen in time. "Was there any blood on the car? Or any signs of injury?" I asked afraid of what the answer might be. "None at all, nowhere" "Well that's good" Lilly said with are assuring deep exhale. "So, so far you found our car but nothing else" a tear trickled down my cheek "that's correct however, we haven't given up yet we are still searching" I smiled a little and grabbed a tissue. I tried to imagine what it would be like to be in the detectives shoes, so much pressure in such a time limit, so many eyes on you and so many precious lives in your hands. "Jenny is there anything else you can tell me about Josh or that day? Maybe something that no one else would know?Something.....personal?" I looked at Lilly who had a confused look on her face, her eyebrows twisted in. "Well, he recently cheated on me that's why we broke up, we've been so distant. We had a major accident last year, I almost died, he took care of me for a while and then......hes topped and started going out and partying with other girls. I think he got bored, sick of taking care of someone who had to just sit around all day but anyways, that's why we broke up." "okay, thanks for sharing Jenny that's very helpful. Oh and did he wear any jewelry?" I remembered a medal bracelet I had given him with the words Forever&Always engraved on it with both of our birthdays but ever since we had been distant I wasn't sure if he had been wearing it but I told the detective anyways. "Thanks guys, look I will keep both of you updated and I will call Mr. Mclain with the news. I suggest you both go home and relax if that's possible" I looked at him and smiled. Before we left Lilly exploded with questions "What about missing flyers? You know with a picture of him and post them everywhere, or on the news?" She sounded so hopeful "that is a good idea however, if it's a kidnapping or homicide we tend to keep these things out of the news and public for a little while until we have some more solid pointers but flyers are a good idea" the name and thought of a homicide and kidnapping made my skin crawl, I couldn't even think about it and Lilly looked away. "Okay thanks detective" "Please ladies go home, rest."

We both left the office with no hope inside. I kept picturing our car,the last time we both took a ride in it and went someplace fun. Josh and I went to dinner at this diner down the road, it was new and his friend had recommended it to us, we didn't end up liking the food but we had such a nice time just sitting there together and holding hands and talking, that was a few months ago though, back when I thought things were, healing between us. A tear started to fall down my cheek, I wonder where he was, if he was okay and what happened in the accident. I wanted answers and I needed them now.

I dropped Lilly off at her home and she waved at me and walked away slowly. I could tell she was already broken inside, one more bad word of mouth and I was afraid she would break right in front of me. I felt horrible and I wish I could just do something. I thought about calling detective Roberts and asking where the car was and going to check it out myself but I knew that would be too hard for me right now, I just needed to lay down. As soon as I got in my house Lilly called me and let me know she was going to make flyers I thought it was a good idea and agreed but told her she could go ahead and do it without me. I looked at a photo book of Josh and I from over the years, there was a photo of us at the Zoo, Sillytown Amusement Park, the beach and all the fun places we had spent. The last photo I had was of us in Italy at this statue, I was sitting on his lap, he had his arms around me and we were looking a teach other smiling, oh how I missed that moment. If I could just hop in to that picture and be back in that moment I would. So much had happened since than, the accident, the apartment, the breakup, I didn't know whereto start, my mind was a never ending roller coaster.