Chapter one

Rosemary's pov

I was waiting firmly waiting for my break at the workhouse to over. Ever since my parents died a year ago when I was fourteen years old things have never been the same. I was sent to the workhouse, and they said I could be come a servant if anyone wanted me, but Ms. Margray said that no one would ever want someone like me. She told me specifically that the ones that are servants are usually the eye catching, and beautiful girls. Not the ugly ones like me. I have a year left before I turn sixteen and they throw me out of here and onto the streets.

I sat there waiting. My feet were act no from standing up and working all day long. Sure it was around noon, but they never allow any of us to sit down.

My thoughts were broken when a little boy. Charlie was his name, he was only twelve years old, but still acted like a little baby. He had shaggy blonde hair, and bright, green eyes, that were filled with tears.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"I got my finger stuck into then sewing machine. Now it hurts really bad." He sobbed. I motioned for him to sit down in my chair. I went to get a cloth, alcohol, and bandage wrap.

"Show me your finger." I commanded. His finger oozed dark red blood. You could see the deep cut from the needle. "Thus may sting a little, but it will make sure that the finger won't get infected, and amputated off. So hold still."

"Okay." He nodded. I gently poured the alcohol into the wounded. He winced at the stinging. I continued to clean it and when the wound was cleaned out I wrapped the bandage around his finger,and kissed it like a mother would.

"There, all patched up. Now you be careful." I smiled at him, and looked at the old clock. I gasped to see I should've started working ten minutes ago.

"Where is she! Where is that insolent girl!" Ms. Margray's voice screeched through out the hall. Ms. Margray was probably a beautiful lady back before she started working with children. She had light brown hair with grey streaks going all about it. Her complexion was pink, but that was because she hated being indoors with us. Her eyes we a mixture at hazel and green. Her body went from thin at the top and plumped its way out at the hips. She hated me for some reason, I didn't know why but she did. Anytime time I did something bad she wouldn't tolerate that. I learned pretty quickly that being mischievous was not a good idea here.

When she finally turned the corner her eyes glared at me full of hate.

"You! Your break was over ten minutes ago! For that you must be punished!" He voice yelled at me. I don't quite recall seeing her raise her hand or even hit me, but I felt a seeing pain wash over the right side of my face.

"I'm sorry ma'am it won't happen again. I was just helping Charlie fix his wound. I lost tracking time, I am ready for your punishment." My voice was calm, but on the inside I was screaming her. Calling her things that could quite possibly get me beaten to death by her.

"Good, because even if you weren't ready I would've still given you your punishment. You get the paddle." She was expressionless, but you could tell by her voice that she was beaming with excitement. Charlie gasped at her. She brought out the pebble and began beating me. By the time it was over, my arms and face were red, and bloody. She walked away smiling. "Get back to your post now."

"I'm so sorry, this is all my fault! I didn't mean to have get the paddle. I didn't know you'd get it that bad." He apologized. "You were doing a good action. How come... How come you had to pay a terrible price for it?"

"Charlie, there are some people that no matter what they do. Or how how good they are, they never are blessed enough ringer a smidgen of good fortune. I am one of those people. No matter how hard I try, how good I am, the universe is always working against me. It isn't your fault, I don't blame you. There no need for you to apologize." I went brushed off my dress, and went back to work. When uncalled in everyone gasped at me. I went to my post and worked.

After dinner, I went ringer myself ready for bed. I looked in the mirror at myself. My dark brown hair has gotten longer, it is now to my waist. My dark blue eyes looked tired. I was thinner than most people here. Mostly because it give some parts of my food toothed younger children. I alwaysbact like everyone's big sister here. I cleaned the dry blood off my pale skin.

I walked out of the bathroom, and into the girls dorm. All the girls slept in the same room. It was over crowded, and there wasn't enough beds for everyone so every night at least twelve girls slept on the floor. Usually I gave up my bed for a little one or a new girl, but today everyone refused my offer. I curled up into a ball and fell asleep, but the unfortunate thing about that the nightmares.