Chapter One: The Big Announcements

"To fully understand real magic would require decades, no, centuries of learning. One would have to dive deep into the each of the five fractions of magic in its turn and would have to forget almost everything else they have learned about life just to make room." Professor Haff droned on, his monotone carrying the dusty speech that he gave every year at the Grand Feast. Aura sat at her table, twisting her brown hair around her finger to try and stay awake. Professor Haff continued on at the head of the five long tables, each filled with twenty or so students, each on with a bored look on their face, a face often used at a 'Haff day lecture'. Aura could not keep her eyes on the plain looking teacher, his scholar's outfit so old, you could swear there were cobwebs hanging from his three corner hat. Aura just kept eying the sliced turkey that sat just to her right, steaming and ready for consumption. Aura had often wondered how the cooks could leave a steaming plate of food at the beginning of a lecture and have it still steaming at the end. Perhaps THAT is where the real magic was at, thought Aura, a smile spreading across her face.

"If Haff keeps this up, the cooks are going have to provide some pillows for us." said a familiar voice just behind Aura. She turned to find her boyfriend Garret, his sandy hair smoothed back for the occasion, half turned towards her so as to talk with her. Garrett was part of the Knights fraction, the next table over, while Aura was part of the Wizards, but since they first arrived they were friends. He was big and strong, but at the same time gentle and very good at listening. To most, he was like a big brother who was always ready to stand up to those who picked on the weaker kids.

"Just when you think he is done, Haff starts off on a different subject. The man has a monotone, yet he manages to revive the lecture with what sounds like a new lecture." Aura said, her smile growing.

"I think he had so many ways he wanted to start his 'little speech' that he decided to use them all," Garrett retorted back.

Aura stifled a laugh, trying not to draw attention to herself. It just sounded so right, Professor Haff using multiple introductions in one lecture. It must have been true, because Professor Haff seemed to have started again on his speech.

"Magic comes in one of five forms. The Solider," Haff pointed to the students at the table at the far right, 'whose magic enhances the users physical abilities. The Tinker," A slight cheer came from the table next to the Soldiers, "who can put magic into their wondrous creations. The Anima-ga," everyone the table at the far left seem to sit up straighter then they had before, "who can transform into multiple animals, in part or full. Knights, whose magic can be infused in their weapons and armor." A great 'whoop' was made by the entire table behind Aura was heard. "And the Wizard, who can throw pure magic, and use it in most of their endeavors." Aura clapped with the rest of her table, even though there were only 6 of them there. "Each is unique and each a challenge to master, but if during your time here at Grimwood Academy, each of you works hard and reaches for it, you will grasp your goal, whatever it may be."

Professor Haff moved to leave the podium, when suddenly, he doubled back and said in a slightly embarrassed tone, "Ah, yes. We have one more thing to address." An audible groan was heard throughout the entire dining room. "I know, but this one is from the Grand Teacher." The rooms silenced quickly, curiosity sparking on the student's minds. "So without further ado, please give your attention to Grand Teacher Venice." Haff bowed himself off the podium as the room filled with the applause for the Grand Teacher. Everybody was looking from one to another, wondering what was to happen now.

The Grand Teacher made his way to the podium, all eyes on him. He was a large man, at least a head taller then any of the male teachers. His beard was full, both in body and color. He didn't have his wizard's staff, as it was the rule that all weapons be forbidden from the Dinning Hall, even teachers weapons. A wizard's staff is the source of his/her power, but the Grand Teacher didn't need his staff to handle the students. Aura could not sit still in her seat. The Grand Teacher was not one for large assembly speeches; he was more of a one on one guy. Something like this could only mean that this was a major, perhaps even critical announcement. Was there danger, or some accident that has concerned the Grand Teacher? Were the new first years OK? Is the school going to be canceled? Aura look around the dinning hall, trying to see if anyone had a clue as to what this was about. Most everyone had one of two looks, of fear or of confusion. Aura looked for her friend, Melody of the Anima-ga. She usually sat towards the head of the table, next to Zodack, her partner, but she wasn't there tonight. A hand rested on her shoulder, Garret's way of calming her when she wasn't sure. The Grand Teacher cleared his throat and scratched his beard, as if he was not ready to speak.