Chapter Two: Welcome to Grimwood

Aura stood at the front gate of Grimwood, fuming and scowling. She had been waiting for the past ten minutes for her assistant and to arrive and her patience had run thin. Aura had been up since 6 in the morning, getting ready to act as tour guide for the first years, getting notes and reminders ready, practicing her answers for common questions, making sure to make this the most informed tour Grimwood had ever given, and her "assistant" couldn't be bothered to be on time. What infuriated her more was that she didn't even know who her assistant was. She had hoped it would be Melody, figuring she would be an ideal tour guide, bright and cheerful. Unfortunately, Melody had to prepare the rooms for the new Anima-ga, as there were more first years than anticipated, so it had to be somebody else.
Aura calmed herself, trying to focus on being a good tour guide. This was important, not just to her, but to the first years as well. She still remembered how strange and alien she felt when she first came to this new school. The building itself was still under construction, the older students intimidating, and she didn't know a soul. The only thing that kept her from going home in terror her first week was her Grimwood tour guide, Marth. He was so welcoming and kind, it felt like they had been friends forever. If she ever needed something, she could ask Marth. When she got lost, Marth found a wizard to lead her to her classes. After Aura got her confidence, she thanked Marth for his encouragement and promised to be as knowledgeable and kind as him when she was a third year. Now, she was going to keep that promise.
Aura's thoughts were interrupted by the grinding of gravel underfoot. It was the first years, all dressed in the new faction garb they received after being Discovered. The three new Footmen walked close to one another, eyes watching the other students with curiosity. A couple of Tinkers talked with each other, fiddling with some of the new tools they were given. The largest group among them were The Anima-ga, of about six walked with a sort of confidence, yet showing extreme caution. The group of students approached, with looks of anxiety and displacement on all of their faces. All but one. A single wizard, striding at the head of the group, a look of superiority shone brightly on his face. This wizard's confidence stood out so much, Aura could barely take her eyes off of him. Aura could see that this young man was going to become a great and powerful wizard.
Aura put on her best and most sincere smile, hoping to ease some of the tension of the other first years. Her hand moved on their own, waving like an over excited child' s might to a complete stranger. Her mouth fell open, but no words came out. Aura could not believe it. She was unable to utter a word. All of the notes and practice she had done escaped her mind, leaving her with nothing but an open mouth and a nervous hand. The students were almost there, she would need to say something when they get here. But what if out of fear, she says something incoherent or stupid! She could not speak. She could not think. She could only smile and wave.
The group of first years stopped. They were right in front of her. They looked at her, their eyes filled with questions and concerns. Aura stared back, trying to pretend this everything was alright.
They stared
She stared
They stared
She stared
He stared
"Morning, everyone."
There was a shock, as if the earth beneath them had shifted ever so slightly, but noticeably. The mood went from humiliating to defensive immediately. Somehow, Mimus had managed to slip in between Aura and the students without any of them noticing. Aura turned to look at the kneeling jester, her anger overcoming her fear. The first years also looked, trying to understand what their eyes were seeing. Mimus was wearing his usual disgusting green suit, but the tiny bells that dangled from his hat and shoes were filled with straw to stop them from ringing. His smirk was on his face, yet something was different about it, something Aura could not place. Mimus looked at Aura, then the students, then back again. "What's with these faces?" he said, arms outstretched, as if to say ' why'. "You all look as if you stepped in something rotten."
Aura quickly looked at her feet, first the bottom of the right, then the left, making sure Mimus hadn't put something there. The first years hurriedly did the same, nearly tripping over one another doing so. Mimus started to laugh. Aura turned her eyes back on Mimus, her anger rising once more. "What are you doing here, Mimus!" It was less of a question and more of a demand of justification.
Mimus calmed down a little from his laughter, then turned to Aura "Same as you, I am here to show the new slackers around. It was sort of short notice but a few things came up and, well, what can I do?"
"No. You were not asked to be here," Aura said flatly. There was no way a teacher would even think of such a thing. "Who in their right mind would ask you to be a tour guild to innocent new students. That would be like letting a wolf guard a flock of sheep at night. You are just here to cause trouble."
Mimus shrugged, "Hey, I thought it was crazy too! But the Grand Teacher asked me this morning, and I am not about to disobey the big guy. Besides," he turned to eye the new students, his smile turning ever so slightly to appear more wicked then before, " I made a promise. No pranks on the first week. And I am a man of my word. So, they're safe. "
Aura looked at him, still unconvinced of his honesty. She was about to send him on his way when a thought came to her. What if this was part of his plan. What if when we leave him alone, the whole tour gets bombarded with mud, paint, beads, fur, and all manner of useless stuff? He may have prepared a whole list of pranks and traps that Aura and the group would stumble upon later, as payback for not letting him join the tour. Aura could not risk that. She would rather have Mimus poke fun at her in her presence, rather than out of her sight. Aura's face contorted back into a smile, "Well, if you say so Mimus. In fact, why don't you help me with this big, old gate so that our new friends can be welcomed properly." It took every ounce of decency to say that without growling.
Mimus' smile shrank, but only just. He pulled himself off his knees, wiping the dirt off his pants, and turned to the door. Aura turned, placing both hands on one of the solid oak doors in front of her. "This is it," she thought to herself, "time to make a great first impression." As if rehearsed, the pair pushed open the door, revealing the great extensive school to the amazed students. "Welcome," Aura and Mimus said in unison, "to Grimwood Academy of magic!"