Chapter 5: Surprise, surprise

"Aura Janet Mimus Cladd. Or Mimus junior, whichever you prefer!" Mimus purred, his voice laced with such villainous glee it hurt Aura to hear it. "With her in my faction, and me having seniority, I have been made Jester Master." He turned to look at Aura, a terrible smile she had never seen before shone from his face. "Thanks a lot, buddy boy!"
Bang!
The sound of Garrett's fist shook Aura out of her fear-driven state, causing her to look at the faces of the other masters. Garrett's face was beet red, twisted with such rage against Mimus, the stare alone was enough to kill the fool. He began to shout and rave at Mimus, but Aura could not seem to quite hear what he was saying. Yull was also turning red, but Aura could not be sure of why. His eyes were fixated on her as if trying to figure out how this was even possible. Krystal was laughing too hard, clutching her stomach so hard, her knuckles were turning white. Mellody and Kado's expression was similar, yet vastly different. A look of confusion and wonder on each face, but while Mellody's was formed in a way of concern and worry for her friend, Kado's was one of resentment and betrayal.

Aura turned to Maximus, his stare causing her to stop looking around and focus on him. His normally smooth, smiling face had now contorted to an odd mix between sinister malice and benevolent content. She could see that he was trying to look like he was calm and happy to see her, but his anger was flaring up to scorching levels. It looked as if it was shifting, changing from vengeful crusader to conniving liar and then to a more controlled smile. Aura couldn't take her eyes off of it, it was memorizing, to say the least. It was as if she could read, "I'm going to destroy you," written on Maximus' face while seeing a calm look plastered underneath.

She then felt a hand on her shoulder, jerking her back to the room as she was pulled into Garrett's embrace. Aura suddenly felt safer, Garrett's warm body holding her to protect her from the world. She wanted to stay there, but she then she heard what Garrett had been saying the whole time he had been yelling, "And if you think your scheme to make Aura a member of your worthless fraction is going to work, I will personally stuff that barrel down your throat." His words rang with anger, but she could feel the hurt he was hiding. She knew she had to say something, "No, Garrett, it's part of the plan, I did this on my own will." She knew this would sting, but it was true. Aura did agree to this plan, to become a Jester.
Garrett gave her a hurt look, one that twisted her heart in pain. She knew Garret didn't want to believe it, but he knew it was true.

"But why? Why would you do this?" Garrett clamored, his voice now rough from all the yelling before. "You know Mimus, he is a monster, he can't be trusted."

"He's right, you know," Krystal had finally gotten control of her laughter, but a huge grin was still fixated on her face. "Mimus is known for his pranks and wicked tricks. Making a deal with him is only going to backfire. I know we don't get along, Aura, but even I don't want you making deals with him on my worst days." Aura did not like how the woman who despised her the most was now giving her advice, but it was worse when Aura found herself silently agreeing with her too.

"But, she did!" Chimed in Mimus, suddenly appearing behind Aura, barrel and all. How he moved so silently in that thing was beyond Aura, but his sudden appearance made her jump slightly. "She is, as of today, the newest Jester of Grimwood, giving me seniority, making me Master Mimus, and giving me power and authority long denied me for years." Mimus began to laugh, more wholeheartedly then Aura or any of them have ever heard. So twisted and cruel, his laughter sent a chill down the spine of every person in the room. As suddenly as it started, it stopped. Mimus looked around at everyone, a drained expression etched on his face, as he said, "sorry, I just thought of something funny."

Maximus was the first to recover, his composure lost to anger. "This is ridiculous, this whole ordeal has become a joke, thanks to this clown. I propose that we expel this fool at once!" He turned to the other members, his expression changed from enraged to confused, as no one seemed to jump to his cause. "Well?"
Krystal looked sheepishly at the wizard. "Sorry Maximus. But Mimus is a Master now, and as long as he is one..."
"Are you kidding!" Maximus roared, his anger becoming wild. "He has been a Master for ten minutes, he is the most despised person in school. He mocks our rules, our teachers, even the Grand Teacher himself! I have only been here a week and I see that there is no value in this fool. Everything he does is nothing but a joke, and this is no exception." His words were pointed at Aura, her embarrassment growing with the a single reoccurring thought in her mind expanding it.
He was right.
How could he not be? Mimus was just making a game out of her misfortune. Aura looked at all the other Masters, each one had a look that reflected how Aura felt. She felt awful, she felt terrible, she felt...alone.
Just then, a hand landed on her shoulder, and a familiar warmth spread through her body. She looked at the hand resting on her, following it to it's owner. It belonged to a man in a barrel, but it didn't look like the mischievous jester that was there only moments ago, but someone else. He had a look that Aura recognized, but couldn't name. It was an odd look.
"That's rich, coming from the biggest joke of all." The jester's voice was low, almost threatening, but still maintained a mocking tone. "You are not worthy to be called a wizard student, much less master. I will admit, I am hardly what you would call a model student. But have never lied about it, and when I give my word, it's as good as done. I never gone back on my word and I never will. I am not honorable, I will find a loophole if I need to, but at least I have a word worth keeping. You on the other hand," Mimus pointed at Maximus,"You claim superiority yet lack the true sense of the word. You couldn't be compared to a sponge in terms of strength. And your magic? And here I thought my jokes were bad."
As he spoke, all eyes turn towards Maximus. He was silent, but his glare spoke volumes. He clenched his fist till it turned bright white. His teeth grinding in a scowl, distorting his face into an evil eye kind of look. He tried to interject something, but Mimus paid him no heed, the fool was on a roll.
"It's a wonder that nobody has said something, your skills are so poor, they're professional beggers. I bet you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Let me guess, your greatest ability is the ability to make people sorry for you. Is that right? Come on, tell me. Tell me you belong here, come on."
"He's egging him on now," Aura thought, her eyes still on Maximus. His face was now turning to a rather ugly color of red. It really didn't suit his otherwise calm exterior. "What is Mimus trying to do? Make him want to expel me twice?"
Then, in a tone that was most definitely a threatening tone, Maximus spoke. "How dare you! How dare you talk to me like that. I am the Wizard MASTER!" Maximus yelled, his hand raised as to strike, but the blow never coming. "I took down Aura the Mage. A Mage! And I could Squish you if given to chance! You have..."
"Let's do it then," Mimus interjected.
"some nerve to...to..." sound left the room slowly, starting with the small sounds of chairs squeaking, steadily growing larger and quieter till all sounds were consumed by silence. Slowly, carefully, Maximus began again, as if addressing an angry tiger. "What did you say?"
"Let's. Do it. Let's give you the chance to squash me. Let's have a dual."
A murmur of whispers began to fill the room, sounds of disbelief echoing from the tall ceiling. Aura could not believe what she had heard. Mimus, dualing? Duals were not uncommon at Grimwood, but Mimus never fought anyone. Plenty of people challenge him, sure, but he never actually fought, he would always surrender and give into the demands of whomever he was fighting. This was huge.
"Do you mean it Mimus?" Garrett yelled, "Do you truly intend to fight?"
Mimus nodded, but his gaze never left Maximus, whose expression had become far less readable.
"This is ridiculous, why should we allow this?" Krystal chimed in, her head turning sharply to one side, causing her loose hair to flick over her should. "The whole point of this council is to avoid fights and let reason reign supreme. Why would we turn on that principle? Just to satisfy the Devil of Grimwood?"
"Well, we have always questioned Mimus' right to be here, and just now we just questioned Aura's right." Yule had come out of his silent causing Garrett to turn to him in surprise. "Mimus questions Maximus, so I think it all fits together."
Kado now spoke with a loud, exaggerated tone,"Not to mention with Mimus being a member of the council, do you really think he will be reasoned with?" Melody giggled from behind Kado, a soft, musical giggle.
"See? They get it. What do you say Maxy? If you win, my next vote will be expulsion," Mimus purred, his eyes now burrowing into Maximus' eyes. "And if I win, we vote again on Aura's expulsion, how does that sound?"
Maximus slowly looked around, his face now calm, a stark difference from the fury that blazed before, before looking to Aura. His face did not move, yet Aura to feel a sense of triumph forming in the mind of the young wizard that had bested her. He then spoke, soft and easy as to not betray his true emotions. "A fight between a Wizard Master and a fool in a barrel? Doesn't seem too fair. But if that will appease the council," his eyes now turned to Mimus, a look of grim triumph now plastered on his face.

"You're on!"