F O U R

THIRD PERSON's POV:

Vibrating came from Hanji's pocket as she held onto Levi's shoulder, catching her breath from the laughter. A text message flashing across her lock screen as it appeared to have come from Moblit, 'Shit, our date night was tonight.' Quickly pushing her phone back as she returned her attention back to Levi, "Sorry, just my roommate wondering when I'll be home."

It wasn't a complete lie, but it wasn't the truth either.

"Go ahead and tell them, I'm sure they're worried about you." Levi spoke, opening the door to East Ridge Diner and Steakhouse. Gesturing for her to walk in first as he walked right behind her, "But you will be home before one, I can guarantee that, Four-eyes."

She smiled, "Thanks, Shorty."

•••

"It all looks so good!" Hanji gushed, her mouth watering and stomach growling as she realized she hadn't eaten today. Too hungry to be embarrassed as she finally settled on the club sandwich paired with a vanilla milkshake with strawberry syrup.

Levi scrolled down the menu once before ordering the salmon bernaise with a tea. Both of them handing the menus back to their waiter as he told them that he'd be back with their orders shortly.

"So have you lived in New York your entire life?" He started, placing his napkin into his lap as Hanji stared at his arms. Taking note that he wasn't anxious yet.

"No, I moved here four years ago for my studies. It's a different change of pace, everything works much faster here than usual." The brunette started, "It's fascinating yet scary, what about you? Have you lived here your entire life?"

"Yes." Was all he said, Levi didn't want to go too into his life story. He barely knew the woman, but deep inside, he supposed that she wasn't one to judge.

"Why cosmetology? You don't seem like the type to accessorize people." Her words cut off by the server placing their plates down as the two thanked him.

Levi began tearing the napkin, he wasn't sure why he went into cosmetology. Subconsciously, his hand drifted up to his black locks and memories of his mother floated back. His childhood consisted of her trying her best to make him look presentable, but nonetheless failed since she never made enough money from her clients.

He missed her, a lot. Even with their limited time together, she left a lifetime of memories for him to grow fond over.

"Exactly what you said, to accessorize people." Levi finally answered, a mere lie. But Hanji's eyes stayed on him as he picked his tea up to drink.

'What an unusual way to hold a cup.' The brunette thought to herself, slurping her shake as Levi glanced up at her.

"What?" His voice held a hint of annoyance but Hanji ignored it. Her finger pointed towards the hand that held his cup.

"Why do you hold your cups like that? It has a handle, ya know?" She gestured to the handle laying on its side, unused as she tilted her head.

"I had a tea set when I was younger, my mom saved up for it and the handle broke. It made me feel guilty, so I suppose it's a force of habit now." The man explained, looking down at his reflection in his cup. His heart beat with a sense of guilt, remembering how upset he was that day.

"You're weird." Hanji spoke, slurping her milkshake as Levi gave her an unsettling look.

"You're weird as shit."

•••

The duo walked side by side down Central Park, chatting away as Levi stopped them both. Gesturing to the food booth as Hanji smiled, pushing him towards it as her laughter echoed within the trees. The clerk took the cash from Levi's hand and opened the cooler, scooping up ice cream.

"Rocky road for the lady." He held the cone out as Hanji graciously accepted it.

"And vanilla for the kid."

"What?"

Hanji doubled over in laughter as she grabbed Levi's elbow and waved at the man, "Come on son, we gotta head home! It's past your bedtime."

"I hope you'll get constipated after all the shit food you ate." Levi muttered as Hanji slapped his shoulder, her chatter filling up the empty park. They held conversation as Hanji's mood turned somber, her head lifting up to see the library she always studied at during the late nights.

"I'm sure you did good." Levi stated as they strolled down the sidewalk, digging his spoon into his cup. His gray eyes flickering back between her and the strangers walking past.

She sighed, "I'm not the luckiest person." Her shoulders drooping as Levi took note of her discouraged appearance as he lightly shoved up against her.

"You're smart, Four-eyes."

"How smart?" The corners of her mouth turning upwards as she bumped up against him.

"Smarter than a monkey."

Hanji chuckled but slowly died out. Unsure if she should do this, and like it was sign, her phone vibrated in her pocket again. Closing her eyes tightly, she slowly exhaled as she tugged at his sleeve.

"Before this goes on any further, Levi." She paused, chewing her bottom lip as he stared at her, "I have a boyfriend."

"Oh? So you want to be friends?" Levi raised an eyebrow, throwing his cup into the trash can.

"No, not exactly." Hanji spoke slowly, "I-I do like you, Levi."

He stopped in front of her, waiting till others passed before he continued, "Do you love him? Do you like me enough that you're willing to throw away a relationship?" There was silence between them as Hanji averted her gaze from the shorter male, "I think you know your answer, Four-eyes. You're just afraid to admit it."

"I'm not sure how I feel about him anymore." The brunette admitted, throwing her cone away as her stomach began to ache, "But is it so wrong that I want to try dating others? Maybe I'm not ready to settle down just yet."

"Sounds like to me that you're just not ready to settle down with him." The man suggested as Hanji stared down in guilt, holding herself as Levi placed his hand on her shoulder, "It's not the right thing to say, but I do find myself liking you too, Hanji. And I'm okay with waiting for you until you figure out your relationship."

"I don't want you to wait, Levi." Her hand reached out to him, "I've been wanting to end it for a while, but I'm not sure how to go about it."

The wind picked up as Levi looked down at her lips then back at her brown eyes. A look that held such wonder and fascination that he couldn't help but to be drawn to it, "Then I'm okay with being with you while you figure out how to end things."

Instagram: levihansociety
Tiktok: levihansociety
Published: 06/20/2021
Word Count: 1,159 words