Unlikely Fate (Chapter 5) How Can I Trust You?

As my eyes crept open, an all too familiar figure stood against the wall on the other side of the room. He stood the same as before; his chin pointed slightly towards the ground and his feet aligned perfectly with his shoulders. The arch of his toned shoulders was tightly knit, revealing his anxiousness. Once again his eyes refused to meet mine; or rather they refused to meet anything besides the empty air in front of him.

     A prick of pain in my arm forced my attention back to what was lain out before me. Two slender tubes trailed down my right arm, fastened on my skin by strips of medical tape. At the ends of each tube a needle protruded into my flesh; the first contained clear fluid while the second was stained a deep scarlet color.

     My head suddenly flooded with dizziness and I couldn’t keep my hand from snatching the tubes out of my arms. As I felt one needle loosen from my arm, I pulled harder on the other one except, it wouldn’t budge. In the next instant, I felt pressure on both my upper arm and my opposite hand. Looking up, I connected with his blank stare as he pried my hand from the exposed needles.

     Chaz held my arms down with little effort which only made me angrier. He suddenly started to strap down my entire torso with thick elastic bands.

     “What are you doing? Stop!” my voice was small but defiant. I continued to writhe, desperately trying to free myself from his control.

     “Just stop moving and this will be over sooner.” He said calmly as he proceeded with tying down the straps.

     “Why should I listen to you? It’s not like you’re on my side or anything; you’re just another one of them! You don’t care about what happens to me at all. You’ll probably be happy when I eventually die because you won’t have to babysit me anymore!” I was furious.

     He looked hurt for a second, but I pushed it aside and told myself that it was my mind playing tricks on me.

     “That’s not true. But please stop resisting, or else they’ll come in here as well.” Again, my outbursts didn’t bother his tranquil but obeying demeanor.

     My body froze, “What? How would they know to come in?”

     His voice lowered incredibly, “There’s a camera in the corner of the room and there are guards standing right outside that door. All someone has to do is tell Claudis that you’re misbehaving and he’ll come in here and do much worse to you than I ever could.”

     What did he mean by much worse than he ever could? But nevertheless my eyes looked to all four corners of the room and found a small black box with a red light in the corner directly in front of me. “Don’t look at it; you’re not supposed to know that it’s there.” He said somewhat tensely.

     “Why are you helping me?” Unlike before, I wasn’t afraid to ask him this now.

     Chaz hesitated before attempting to answer me, “I—“

     He was interrupted by the door being knocked and quickly started to inject the needle into my arm, I jerked in surprise. The door slowly opened and Clyde, the man who had wrapped up my wrist, walked in along with Margie, his assistant. They are both human, which was honestly obvious due to their identical green eyes. Besides that though, they both lack the strength that all vampires posses.

     Unlike everyone else in this place, I didn’t mind them. When they had come yesterday I felt as though I wasn’t trapped within a giant circle of vampires anymore. Clyde is somewhat serious and doesn’t talk much, but he’s nothing less than sympathetic to me and my situation. Margie however, I find that I have quite a liking to her. She told me her and Clyde’s story of how they ended up with Claudis and his “Order” as she put it.