Unlikely Fate (Chapter 7) Bruises and Scars

I dare myself not to turn around. Obviously, nothing good will come with his visit; my mind even ponders on the thought that this might be the end of me. The end of my short life.

     “Rupert, you may leave. Someone will come to you with your next assignment.” Claudis spoke to the guardsman; who then replied with a low nod of his head and an obediant “Yes Sir.”

     As the guardsman, Rupert, practically marched out of the room, Claudis started speaking to me. “Now dear, I find I might ask you how you like it here?” He said it like he was asking a child if they were having fun at an amusement park or something. His enjoyment of pain made me feel sick. How can anyone truly be that rotten?

     My mouth remained shut; keeping all the profanities I wanted to scream at him hidden from his ears. His mouth had formed a grim line, making his features appear even more unpleasant then they usually are.

     Suddenly, a white blur flashed before my eyes connected with a flesh ripping slap across my face. The force of the blow threw me face down on the hard floor. My face filled with an overwhelming pain, making me to wince quietly.

     Claudis gripped my arm with substantial strength and bore his face down upon my own. An overbearing dizziness took over me and my head began to ache in nauseating pain. “When I ask you a question you will answer me.” His voice was cruel and degrading, sending shivers up my spine.

     His grip tightened unbelievingly, “Do you understand me?” I quickly nodded, trying not to let the pain show on my face.

     “Good, now I have a few questions for you and it would be in your best interest to answer.” He said, backing away from me.

     I ignored the gut feeling telling me to back down, “No.”

    Moments passed, then out of the blue a searing pain arose in my forearm. Looking down I could see blood oozing out of a long gash in my skin. “I don’t think you realize that I can kill you at any time.” He hissed.

     “Go ahead, kill me. Because when I’m dead, you can’t use me anymore. So see what I care.”

     “Oh believe me; we’re not going to let you die yet. That would be too kind. I intend on keeping you alive until I get my full exploit. No longer, no shorter.”

     “As long as I’m alive, your threats mean nothing to me.” I retorted.

     “Just because I can’t kill you, doesn’t mean I can’t make your life a living hell.” He spoke heartlessly.

     “I’d like to see you try.” I stared at him in disgust.

     Something cold and hard then bashed against my skull, spotting my vision. Fighting consciousness, I heard Claudis say one last thing before I entirely blacked out.

     It would be my pleasure.

* * *

     Shallow voices rocked back and forth through my brain, making my head spin.

“Where is she?” said a feminine voice.

“Over there, in the corner.” A man replied in a husky tone.

“Someone get her by her legs, I’ll get her arms.” A new voice came into the conversation.

I could feel hands get hold on my body, ensnaring me. “Stop! Get away from me!” I screamed at the invisible voices, trying to free myself from their seize.