Chapter 4

"Mommy, look what I made for you in school!" I exclaimed juviantly.

"My, my, is that a mother's day card I see?" My mommy is surprised. Yay, she likes it!

"Yes! Happy mother's day! I drew our happy family on the front all on my own," I said.

I really did draw all of it on my own. I wanted to see pride in mommy's eyes.

Looks like I was successful because she ruffled my hair and dropped a quick kiss on my forehead. "Elly, this is beautiful, honey. You made my curls prettier than they actually are," she replied, observing my handiwork. "I'm so proud of you. Everyone looks so happy."

Wistfulness filled in her eyes. Why?

She continued, "You did this. Made us happy. Drew us together. Made that house," she points to my messy sketch of a house, "home. You filled life in it."

Of course, I did. I was brimming with pride. She was happy. I was happy.

"Your father and I love you, never doubt that," She said.

I doubted my father's love for both of us. He always made mommy cry. It made me so sad. I didn't voice my thoughts, though.

I hugged her and said, "I love you, too, mommy."

"How much?" She asked with a smile.

Oh, she was playing our usual game!

"As big as the size of the universe." I replied, grinning, well versed with this exchange.

"Yeah? You've been there?" She tickled me. I giggled.

"Yes, every night when I sleep in your lap. You're my universe!"

She held me close to her tightly and whispered, "And you're mine. My little universe."

We stayed in that position holding each other for a long time. I relished every second of it. Of that caress, that hug, that comfort and that love. I never wanted to let go...

***

It's lunch time and I'm filled with anticipation. I'm wondering if I'll get to sit next to Parker and talk to him. I know it's hopeless. Afterall, Britanny has made him her next target. But a girl can hope.

Call me a weakling but I hate initiating anything- whether it's a conversation or a friendship. I'm insecure that way, afraid if I'm forcing them into something.

I can still remember him muttering to me in the darkness of the room, "You're worthless. Nobody can ever like you." 

Of course, I know his words were filled with nothing, but falsehood. But, regardless, they are still there at the back of my mind, taunting me.

"Did you happen to notice the attitude of our new Biology teacher, Mr. Stewart?" Rose's whine distracts me from my mental rambling. "He sent me out of the lesson just for checking my phone once."

"Once?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Twice," She grumbles.

"Twice?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at her.

"In every minute," She replies, glumly, without making any eye contact.

"Ah. I agree with you, man. So, so unfair!" Sarcasm drips from my words.

"I'm serious-" Rose stops abruptly, staring at something at the right of her. I follow her line of sight, curious.

Brittany is standing in the centre of the cafeteria, talking to Parker animatedly. I can't hear them, but when Parker steals a glance at me, I kind of suspect what it's about. Then Brittany drags him to 'The Bitch Table', not without giving me a smug look.