Part 6

The heat in the car was becoming unbearable despite the fact that the windows were wound completely down. The lack of breeze was driving both men in the car practically insane but they daren't move, just in case Sam came out the doctors to see them gone.

"This is taking longer than expected." Dean mumbled as he tapped his finger tips against the hot metal of the impala from where his arm was stretched out of the vehicles window.

Bobby turned his head to look at Dean. He'd been glancing out the window for the last half an hour, "Do... Do you think he's alright in there?"

Dean huffed a breath, "If anywhere, that's where he is the most 'alright'."

Bobby silently accepted that statement. It was true; if anything would happen to Sam then that was the best place for him to be. He was worried about Sam and anyone else in their right mind would be too. The tall Winchester had clearly deteriorated over that last few weeks making his life be put completely on hold.

Hunting for the boys had become almost nonexistent aside from occasionally helping out Bobby with research. They'd not left Sioux Falls since they'd arrived almost two weeks before. That in itself was bizarre for a hunter.

---

"What did the doctor say?" Both men jumped to ask when Sam collapsed into the back seat of the Impala. He legs were squished up but he insisted that Bobby got the front seat.

"I gotta pick up a prescription." Sam answered with a gentle smile. He knew the two men were worrying and didn't want to make it worse. "The doctor thinks this might help."

"Thinks?" Dean recoiled. Doctors were supposed to be clever and knowledgeable. Shouldn't they know?

Sam merely hummed in confirmation before he leant back against the upholstery and gazed out of the window. He rested his head up on the cool glass of the car as he watched the scenery fly passed. Dean and Bobby had then spoke amongst themselves as they drove to somewhere they could gets Sam's medicine. It only took a few minutes and they were there quicker than expected.

"Hey, Sam! We're-" His sentence died out as he turned in his seat to see Sam, mouth open and eyes closed, asleep in the back seat.

The two older hunter's huffed a quiet laugh at Sam's inability to remain conscious. It was a way to burn nervous energy anyways. Pulling the doctor's prescription from the seat beside the sleeping Giant, Dean rolled his eyes and turned to Bobby.

"You coming?"

The old man shook his head, "I'll stay and watch your brother." The concern showed in the creases in his forehead, just visible under his scruffy cap.

Dean understood so nodded and just made his way towards the large pharmacy.

---

The phone was ringing, that's what roused the young hunter from his slumber. In the other bed, Sam was still sleeping like a rock. The tall man barely even stirred as Dean threw off the blanket and padded downstairs. The heavy sleeping drugs were finally doing their job.

The floor was almost scolding his bare soles as the cold seeped through the wooden floorboards. The hunter dismissed the discomfort in favour of sneaking a long corridor until he was in the doorway of the kitchen.

He was surprised to find Bobby, already stood by the phones, reaching to pluck one from its cradle. It was the hunter's own home phone, reassuring that it wasn't an FIB call; acting at this time of night would be beyond impossible.

"Singer Salvage." Weariness seeped into the old man's tone. His back automatically straightened as the other person spoke, "What do you mean 'Causin' trouble'?" The frown didn't have to been seen know it was marking the hunter's brow.

"Vampires? You sure?" He ran a hand over his weary face. "I don't know if I can help... Yes, I'm aware that it's my Goddamn job, boy! But I've got stuff on my hands... Yes, fine. I'll let you know if I change my mind." He hung the phone up with a world battered sigh.

"Bobby?" Dean asked from where he was leaning on the frame. The other hunter jumped but turned around to face the younger.

"Dean? What'cha doing up?" He muddled through the sentence.

He gestured to where the line of phones decorated the wall, "I heard the ringing... You've got a case?" The idea of getting out there again set a sparkle in Dean's green eyes. It had been weeks since he'd last been in a hunt. With Sam's deteriorating health, they had to stay out for a while which wasn't natural for the older Winchester.

"We can't go." Bobby reminded him, "We gotta care for Sam." Deep inside his mind, he was also desperate to get out again. Get working another job. Perhaps he could leave Dean to help Sam and just go and sort these blasted vampires out himself. It's not like he really needed Dean to help him.

There was a brief period of silence as both men thought.

"I know what you're thinking and you're not doing a whole vampire nest without me helping out!" The young man folded his arms. Unfortunately for Bobby, Dean was known for his stubbornness and he was about to prove it.

------

An hour and a half later, the two men were still at a disagreement over the situation. They'd migrated to the study and were glaring at each other cross armed as they fought.

"You're not coming, Dean. That's final."

The younger man huffed a laugh, "Well, I'm not letting you go alone to a goddamnned vampire nest!"

"You have to stay and care for your brother!" Bobby sighed. After so long, it was beginning to seem impossible that Dean would just do as he was told. It would be irresponsible for him to go alone but he could meet up with other hunters once he got there.

"How far is it?" Sam's fragile voice contrasted the heat from the other hunters. He stood, an arm supporting himself on the doorframe.

"It's up to Billings, Montana." Bobby answered, cautiously.

"About 9 hours drive..." The healthiest hunter added.

"When you leaving then?" Sam asked as he slowly made his way through the study and managed to sit down. He tried not to groan in relief.

There was a huff of laughed, "We're not leaving you, Sammy." Dean almost seemed offended by the thought. His brother needed him. Family became before everything else.

Sam wanted to roll his eyes but knew giving sass wouldn't exactly help the situation. The two other hunters had been going stir-crazy cooped up in one place for so long especially when it's natural for them to yearn to travel. He sighed and leant back against the chair.

"Why not? You'd be gone for like two days and I'm not incapable of caring for myself. I may be a little sick but if I don't go out on my own or anything then it'll be fine." He fought to convince them, "I have a cell, I have the doctor's number as well as yours!"

The two older hunters shared a glance of silent consulting. They really were looking for the positives as giving up the role of babysitter for a few days would be exactly what they needed.

Sam smiled encouragingly, ignoring the thumping developing in the back of his skull, like little demons throwing a rave. He'd be fine. What could even go wrong?
---

"Maybe I should check on him?" Dean worried as his fingers ghosted over his cell. His mans had barely left his sick brother since they'd waved goodbye this morning. A few months into Sam's mystery condition and nothing seemed to be getting better, only worse.

Bobby didn't sigh but it was clearly on the tip of his tongue, "Dean, you texted him like half an hour ago. Let the poor boy rest."

Taking Bobby's advice on board, Dean slipped his cell back into his pocket and refocused on the empty road ahead. They still had another three hours to go but Dean was already considering whether this was a mistake.