8

Tani's POV

I woke up in a white room, wearing only a hospital gown. I could feel bandages on my back, where Father had whipped me, and on my arms, where there were a few cuts. I sat up slowly, to see I was definitely in a hospital room. And there were two other beds beside mine. On my left was Taro, and on my right, Tomo.

"I was wondering when you would wake up," Taro said gently, but he didn't sound very happy.

I gave a dry chuckle. "What's wrong?" I asked.

He sighed. "You always did read me like an open book," he replied.

"We're triplets," I retorted. "It's my job. Now stop avoiding my question."

Just then, Tomo let out a muffled sob.

"They're seperating us," Taro stated grimly.

I looked away from Tomo. "Like, as in putting us in different hospital rooms?"

"As in sending us to live in seperate places," Taro revealed.

Tomo's cries intensified slightly, so I reached over to grasp his arm, and he clutched onto my hand for dear life. I had just gotten my brothers back. I couldn't be seperated from them again. And Tomo, we were the only ones who could calm his fears. And only Tomo and I could soothe Taro's rage. Only my brothers could keep me sane. They couldn't do this to us.

"They said that you shouldn't really be around us, cause of what Father did to you," Tomo said, forcing himself to calm down.

"And they want us seperate so we don't influence each other to be like Father was," Taro concluded.

Then, a nurse walked in. She changed or removed our bandages, took out our IVs, and said we were good to go. Standing, Taro, Tomo, and I pulled each other close, never wanting to let go. Just two years, before we could leave wherever they put us. But could we last that long? We cried as we held one another. Then, someone cleared their throat. We looked to see three police officers, all women.

"It's time to say goodbye," the oldest of them said. "We cannot tell you where the others are going. That is up to your new families."

I looked at my brothers. This couldn't be happening. "I can't say goodbye," I wispered.

"Then don't," Taro wispered. "I'll see you soon. Both of you. I will find you, I promise."

"See you soon," I replied, tears falling down my cheeks. We looked to Tomo, who wiped his eyes.

"See you soon," he said, trying his absolute hardest to reign in his emotions.

We retrieved our overnight bags, that I assume Tomo had packed. He was good at that kind of thing. Mine and his guitars were also there, along with Taro's drum bag, and the music journal lay atop my case. We all had the music memorized anyway. The officers led us out of the hospital, and to the parking lot, where three identical police cars were parked. I sat in the one in the middle, Taro in the car on my left, Tomo on my right.

As we drove away, I opened my bag, looking for distraction. Laying on top, neatly folded, was Taro's black hoodie. Tears returned to my eyes. In the hoodie pocket was a note, signed by both of my brothers. They had each written, in their own scamrawled handwriting, "I love you, Tani." They knew, long before I did, that we would be seperated. I put the note back in the pocket, then slipped the hoodie on.

...

April 27

It has been six months since Taro, Tomo, and I were seperated. I missed them dearly. I now lived with my mother's parents, in northern Japan. I had stopped talking only a few days after arriving at my new home. I couldn't bare being away from Taro and Tomo. They had been the only constants in my life. I missed seeing the love in Taro's eyes, and holding Tomo's hand. I missed laughing together, playing together. I missed just sitting together and all doing our own thing, leaning against each other so we knew we weren't all alone in the world.