Homeless

Rain pours down fiercely as people hurried across streets with their fancy umbrellas. Soon, night falls and everyone went back home. Streets are emptied and the rain decreases. The only people remained are beggars and homeless people.

Everybody is in their homes having dinner and spending time with their families. I crept through the lonely alleyways and into the back of a huge hotel. This is the heaven of homeless people like me. The garbage dumps are always filled with left over food. There are already a couple of people in here searching for dinner. I walked pass them and get to my usual place. It's a small garbage cart in the corner. There isn't much in it but just enough for me. The homeless has strict rules too, they don't share. If you ever invaded their spot, you would get beat up. I found some left over fish and rotten eggs and started to nibble on it.

Oh, I haven't introduce myself. How embarrassing! My name is Beka. Short for Rebecca. My granny gave it to me when I was born. She said it is a name from the Bible. I really don't care.

Before I turned 12, I had the best family ever. My life was perfect. My parents were humble workers to the government and they love me as I am their only daughter. However, after I turned 12, everything fell apart. My parents died in an accident. Till now I believe is a murder. But who would listen to a 12-year-old anyway?

I was supposed to go live with my uncle after my parents died. He is my only living relative. Also, he is crazy. No one knew that, but my parents. I, of course, don't want to spent my life with a crazy man. So I ran away. I was heart broken and I had nowhere to go. If I was ever found by police, I would be returned to this crazy guy. I didn't want to, who knows what would he do to me. So I have been homeless for the past 5 years.

I had been through the worst of things. I was beaten up and raped constantly in the past 3 years. I couldn't escape from those horrible men in the streets who always thought I'm a prostitute. I had been on the streets begging for food, eating people's left overs. My pride and innocence was long gone and I knew I had to fight for survival.

As I finished my meal, I get myself up and leave. My stomach is rumbling and protesting about the bad food but I ignore it like I always did. I stepped out of the alleyway. The lights of the hotel lit the streets. It's deserted. The rain has stopped and the whole atmosphere is so quiet that brings goosebumps to my skin. It's creepy.

I started walking. I don't know where to go but I don't want to stay here, it's creepy.

Suddenly, I felt someone is following me. I turned around but there's nobody. I proceed walking and this time I heard footsteps drawing nearer. I stopped to listen but the footsteps stop too. I started to run and the footsteps grew faster. I tried to turn around to see who is following me but immediately greeted by a big rubber bag and pitch darkness.

I was bagged. "Let me out!!!" I shouted. I kicked and punch into the bag but nothing happened. I kept telling until I heard a loud thud from outside and silence fell.

I sat quietly, not moving. I don't know what happened. I heard another set of footsteps approaching. "Who's there?" I tried to sound brave but the footsteps didn't stop. I closed my eyes imagining who could be outside. Maybe another raper? Or I'm gonna beaten up again?

The bag was opened from outside, revealing the night sky and faint light from a distant lamp post shone in. I looked up and saw a black figure looking down at me. I didn't move but look back at the person. I don't know if the person is a bad guy or not. The figure stared at me for another second and turned around leaving.

Quickly I got up from my place and called to the person, "Wait! Who are you?" The figure stopped. It turned around to face me. The person is wearing a black suit and a black bandana over the face. From the body shape, I can tell she is a female.