Three Criminals

Lafayette, Indiana 1982

"Run Billy run!" I screamed at Billy and Tina. Billy behind, Tina in the front and me in the middle.

We were running from the cops. Who knew the local gas station would get angry at us for stealing? Ok. So,it's the 3rd time we've been caught. So, we're not the brightest kids on the block.

"Shit!" Tina yelled. A fence. What the hell?
"Now what? " I turned to her. She shrugged.
We were busted for sure.
Billy caught up. "You two go! Now!"
I looked at him. "No way. We're not leaving you!"
He looked back over his shoulder and saw the cops gaining on us. His hair was copper and shoulder length with beautiful blue eyes,eyes that held a darkness behind them.

"No time to argue. Go!" He shoved me into Tina and he took off toward the cops. I wanted to scream his name but Tina grabbed me,"Let's go damnit!"
We climbed over the fence and dropped to the ground.

In the dark we were out of sight. But, we could see Billy and the cops. They took him. Handcuffs and in the back of the car. Off they went.

I laid on my back. "Shit Tina. What do we do? We can't let Billy take the rap for us."
She sat up lit a joint took a hit then handed it to me. "Coco, looks like he did. The fool. He's been in so much trouble already. This may be it for him."
"Don't say that."

But, she was right. Billy,Coco and Tina: Three Amigaos or as most called us: Three Criminals. Wherever there was trouble you would find us.

Another kid named Jeff hung around us,but he was mostly Billy ' s friend. I thought he was weird.

Billy ' s been arrested too many times and Tina and I once. We grew up together. Inseparable since the first grade. Billy was being bullied and I came to his rescue as did Tina. Since then,we were always together,sometimes illegal activities sometimes not. Tina was beautiful; long blonde hair and blue eyes. Tall with a perfect shaped figure 8 body. Guys were always after her but she was not interested.

Me,on the other hand, not so much. At least I thought so. My hair was long and black much like my eyes which were very dark. Thus earning me the nickname "Coco." My real name is Jessica but that hasn't been used in years. When I was born my mom said I was full of dark hair and my dark hair and eyes reminded her of Coco so she called me "Coco baby." Coco stuck.

Tina and I finshed the joint then headed home. I went home to my mom it was just us. Tina had a large family. Billy ' s family was messed up. He was always running from home.

I couldn't sleep. I was so worried about Billy. Damnit. He should be out.
I heard a knock on my window. Only Billy does that.

I flung open the window. There stood Billy grinning with a six pack in his hand.
"You gonna let me in,or what?"