Leaving The Nest

"What the hell are you doing here?" I couldn't believe he was here.
He hopped in my window shut it,sat down on my bed and cracked open a beer.

I grabbed one started drinking it.
"So, are you going to tell me or do I have to beat it out of you."
He laughed. "No. Well, thankfully you and Tina had all the stuff we stole. There was no evidence. They got me on this one as running from the cops."
I shook my head in disbelief.
"You're either the luckiest son of a bitch alive or the dumbest. I haven't decided yet."
"Me either."
We laughed and put on a Led Zeppelin record. Our usual ritual. After the three of us went home, he would come over and we would listen to music and talk.

We both wanted out of this God forsaken place. It sucked. Billy was very musically talented and talked non stop about going to LA and being a rock star. He and weird Jeff,of course. If Billy wasn't with us,he was with Jeff.

Billy said I could be a model but I did not want that. The thought of standing there while people took pictures of me made me want to vomit. I prefer behind the camera.

We talked about our dreams,our hopes and what stupid thing we did earlier that day. He was truly my best friend. Tina too but Billy and I spent so much time just talking,the two of us.
"Well,my dearest Coco,I bid you good night. " He stood and kissed my hand.
"You're nuts." I laughed.
"It's 3 in the morning. No. After 3 and your mother is going to kill you."
He shrugged. "Whatever."

I hugged him goodbye which was our usual but this time when we pulled apart,we were so close. I felt his breath on my face. I stared into his eyes he stared into mine and we naturally brought our lips together.

We kissed and I swear my heart was pounding so hard the neighbors heard it. It was sensual and the best kiss I have ever had. We kissed and I could feel us both wanting more.

I wasn't ready for that yet. I pulled away breathless. He was breathless.
"I love you,Coco." He said.
"I love you too,Billy."
He drew in a sharp intake of breath.
"No. I love you. I've always loved you. Since that very first day when you shoved Rikki in the mud for bullying me. I am in love with you. I never wanted anyone else,just you. I see you as my future. My everything."

I stood there like an idiot with my mouth hanging open.
"You don't have to say anything. Nothing.  I just needed to tell you. Finally. I love you Coco and I always will. Nobody will hurt you as long as I  am around. Good night. "

He kissed me lightly on the lips and left me standing there like a baffled moron.

Tina.  I couldn't wait to tell her. She had to hear this. Was it a dream? I knew it wasn't because the beer cans were still on my floor. I quickly threw them out before my mother saw.

But, last night had me in a daze. I needed to talk to Tina. She worked at a clothing store during the day. It was summer and of the three of us the most responsible.  I went outside and took my little sister to the beach.

I needed to do something. I couldn't sit around. So,my sister Christin and I were beach bound. We were there all day and me just counting the hours until I could talk to Tina.

Finally. Time to get her. I brought Christin home and ran to Tina's.
She looked at me.
"What the hell is up with you?"
She handed me a Coke. I ignored it and told her everything. She did not seem the least bit surprised.
"Well Duh Coco."
"Why am I the only one who doesn't know?"
"I've seen it. It's obvious and he told me."
I whipped my head around .
"When?"
"A year ago."
"A YEAR AGO!" I shouted. So much Tina jumped.
"Get a grip,girl. The question is,how do you feel? What do you want to do?"
I didn't answer. Nor would I find out. Two hours later we went to get Billy. He was gone. Like,gone. Apparently, he and Jeff hopped on a bus bound for LA.

He didn't even say goodbye. So,was it all bullshit?  Did he mean what he said? If he did then why did he leave without saying goodbye?

Heartbroken beyond belief Tina and I spent the rest of the summer crying and swimming. And, nothing,no word from Billy.