33) NATASHA

As I came out of the bathroom I could hear Josh whispering on the phone. As he saw me he quickly hurried off of the phone.

"Who was that?" I asked.

He looked at me before taking a deep breath as he sat down.

"My brother..."

"So why do you seem so upset about it?"

"My brother only calls me when he needs money. It's quite draining."

"I didn't even know you had a brother."

"Yeah... I don't talk about my family much."

"You don't talk about anything much."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"When I think about it I don't really know much about you. I don't know where you live, I don't know if you have siblings, I don't know anything about your family, whereas you know a lot about me."

"You've never asked..."

He had a point.

"Well I'm asking now. Not because I'm trying to be nosey. I just want to know my boyfriend a bit more."

"Well my name is Josh Martin well Joshua actually but I hate that name so I stick to saying Josh. It's just me and my younger brother. I raised him as I don't know my father and my mother gave us up when I was ten. Old enough to know I wasn't wanted but not old enough to understand so I rebelled. Went youth juvi a few times then realised my behaviour wasn't a good example to set for my younger brother. By the time I fixed up and got myself a job and was able to provide for my brother it was too late. He started doing all the shit I used to do. So now he's in and out of jail. As for where I live. I live maybe a twenty minute drive if there's traffic. I live with my brother who is currently out of jail at the moment. My house is also being refurbished hence why I haven't invited you. Plus I need my brother to feel he can trust you because he doesn't trust anyone he thinks everyone is out to get him. So I wouldn't want to startle him by bringing you around and he's not aware. Because he can go off on one." He said.

"All of this and you still manage to be there for me?" I said feeling shocked and honoured.

"My brother has ruled my life for a very long time. All I've ever done is look after him. I finally find someone I see myself with, having a future with. I'm not going to let that go. This is why he's been ringing me back to back because he's noticed I haven't been around as much so he's worried that I've left him but I haven't. He needs to learn that this bad lifestyle that he wants to live isn't going to be rewarded by me anymore. He wants money then he should finish off the house. He's really good at plumbing, painting, electrical stuff, etc. So he needs to utilise it. Then I'll look about giving him money."

"I'm impressed. I'm sure your brother will come around. With a great brother like you he has too."

"You think I'm great? I just told you I went juvi a few times."

"Everyone makes mistakes. Look at you now. My hero. And if your brother can copy you in being bad then he can copy you in being good too. Just don't drop him because they feel it when you do. Trust me. Take it from me and how I was with my sister."