CHAPTER V: SUNSET (Baekhyun)

My hands shook violently as Taemin gently took off the bandage covering my eyes. Blood was pounding in my head. I bit my lip as I tried to calm my racing heart. The bandage fell from my eyes and I felt like I would faint any second. I gritted my teeth.

"Baekhyun, open your eyes slowly," Taemin whispered and took hold of my hand.

I took a deep breath. I opened my eyes.

And saw nothing.

I blinked. Once. Twice. Thrice. No. Every muscle in my body froze. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move. The world had stopped. No. Hot, heavy tears rolled down my face.

"Baekhyun? Can you see us?" Chanyeol asked, touching my face.

Instead of answering, I just shook my head. I clenched my fists. I couldn't stop crying.

"Guys, can you give us a minute please?" Suho said to the others. "Luhan, Chanyeol, both of you can stay."

I heard the door open and close as the others left the room.

I heard Taemin sigh. "Hyung, listen to me please. You have to undergo sessions of eye drop treatment. Do you understand?" Taemin said as he held both of my hands.

I nodded at him. "But what if it won't work? I won't be able to see again?"

I shivered involuntarily.

"You'll undergo another transplant," Suho whispered.

"Baekhyun-ah." I felt Luhan put one arm around me.

I hadn't heard anything from Chanyeol. "Chanyeol?"

I reached out blindly for him.

"I'm here," he said as he took hold of my hand.

"On second thought, if you don't mind, I want to talk to Baekhyun, alone," Suho told them.

"Of course," Taemin answered. 

"We'll be outside then," Chanyeol muttered and kissed my forehead.

Suho waited until they left the room before speaking to me.

"Baekhyunnie." Suho took my hands in his.

"Hyung, what if I won't see again?" I sobbed.

"Listen to me. I want you to keep this in mind, okay? Whatever happens, if none of the treatments work, and if the second surgery fails, Baekhyun, we'll always be here for you," Suho said, stroking my head.

"I just don't know what to do," I whispered.

"Shh. Hush now."

Suho pulled me into his arms. He sniffed and I knew he was trying hard not to cry. I clung to him. Suho had been a good brother to me, to the whole team. He's always there to listen to all our problems. He never failed us. For that, I was grateful.

"Thank you so much, Suho hyung. I love you," I told him.

"I love you too, Baek," he whispered and kissed my forehead.

****

It had been a month since my transplant, three months since the car accident. Taemin had me undergone eye drop treatment and as far as I knew, it didn't really help. He'd told me I could undergo another transplant. I wanted to, but I knew for a fact that chances weren't that high. So I just told Taemin I'll think about it.

I sighed. I was sitting in our living room, listening to my iPod. Chanyeol's at work. I sighed again. I missed my work. I missed spending my free time with Sehun and Lay in the coffee shop across SMEnt Agency. I could not go back to work. Just thinking about it twisted my heart in pain.