Introduction

Amanda

I put my hands around myself. My hands almost could wrap around my entire waist, but as I stared at myself in the mirror, I thought, still FAT. I clutched my backpack in my hand and slipped it on my shoulder. I headed downstairs to my mom for my ride to school. As I got to the last step, I shouted

“Mom, I’m ready.” She came around the corner in her work clothes, from the kitchen and grabbed her keys.

“Okay let’s go,” she said back in a cheerful and jolly voice. My mom looked at me, all of a sudden her smile slipping from her face. She stared for a good minute. I could tell she was concerned about something, but I didn’t know what. In an anxious tone she asked, “Amanda dear aren’t you going to eat something?” I’ve heard this question a million times and always answer the same way.

            “I’m not hungry…” I answered back.

            “Well did you at least pack lunch this morning?”

            “No mom I’m never in the mood for lunch.” I said in a smart tone.

            “Okay then,” She answered back upset with a sigh.

My mom and I headed towards the front door, unlocked it, and left. She walked towards her 2009 Chevy Impala. “Click” the car went as she pressed down the car keys. I opened the door and stepped into the passenger seat.

 “Close the door,” my mom uttered. I slammed it shut. My mom put her car in reverse and drove out of the drive way.

 Usually this early the streets of Los Angeles, California are very busy in the morning so my chances were small of making it to school on time.

By time I made it to school, I was a little late. But I didn’t get detention because I ran and made to class before the school bell rang. When I got to Ms. McLane’s first period class she passed me a piece of paper to get started on. Then I heard my name being whispered from six different directions and wasn’t for something good.

I got the usual jokes about me being skinnier than a twig or what Adam Perez would say

“How do you find a lost anorexic? Tell your dog to go fetch!”

 I always took them personal but I never showed it on my face. That’s why the teacher never did anything about the jokes. She just thought I was playing around with them. Then that’s when I heard my name being called from across the room.

“Amanda. Amanda!”

I looked back and saw my friend Mariah.

“Yeah” I whispered back.

“Why do art teachers in elementary schools hire anorexics to model for their students?

“Why?” I asked back

“Because kids can only draw stick figures.”

She laughed and so did I. But my laugh turned more into a frown.

Mariah, being my best friend would always join in on the fun and games. Every time she would make a skinny joke towards me, I would just laugh but I still had that sorrow feeling inside my heart. The point is I wanted to gain weight, but I couldn’t because no matter how many times  I looked myself in the mirror I still consider myself really fat. But I guess it’s only like that for me because I’m

                                                    Anorexic