Chapter Fourteen

"This was not the plan," Ayren snapped as his master's face appeared in the mirror.

The man merely lifted an eyebrow. "Careful, boy."

"We were supposed to keep the princess, break her, plant false information in her head, and release her."

"I changed the plan. I can tell she knows something about the war but she will not crack--we've tried everything. Now there is no use for her."

"They're going after her."

"Who?"

"The One and The Blessed. They're leaving in the morning and expect me to go with them."

"Go. Hinder them however you can."

Ayren fought the bile rising in his throat. "Master--"

"Yes?"

Ayren stopped. He nodded once, briskly, and strode out of the bathroom.

Polly was waiting for him. She was sitting on his bed, hands clasped in her lap, legs dangling over the edge and crossed at the ankle. She gave him a long, sorrowful look before climbing down and leaving the room.

She looked so small and innocent.

Ayren's heart cracked.

He lay down on his bunk and finally fell into a deep, uneasy slumber.

*

Jason and Rowen were planning.

Polly had given them each notebooks--simple, black composition books, but they served their purpose. While they couldn't take anything to find Maria, the notebooks would help organize their thoughts.

Pipsqueak watched them from one of the trees circling Rowen's bed. He would occasionally fly down and snuggle into Rowen for moral support. She appreciated the baby griffin's efforts. He seemed much happier than he had been since first arriving, and Rowen had decided that she was going to leave him with Polly for safekeeping.

"The plan in summary," said Jason in his deep, serious voice. Rowen smiled.

"We take our flighters and, with the maps we can hopefully convince Polly to give us, fly to the troll prison in the early hours of the morning. Hopefully it is the correct troll prison. We arrive around 5:00 AM. You create an illusion to distract possible guards and we sneak inside. Ayren will be our muscle." Jason stopped reading and grimaced. "I sound so useless."

"They can't torture you if you're deep in your visions, which could also give us valuable information," Rowen pointed out. "You're fine."

"We try to find Maria, disposing of anyone who gets in our way. We stop to free no one but her.

"Once we reach her cell, we free her and Ayren carries her as you use more illusions to defeat any more guards."

Rowen nodded. The plan wasn't perfect by any means--there were holes you could drive a truck through--but they weren't professional infiltrators. It would have to do. She just hoped she could stand up to the task.

Polly cleared her throat. Rowen jumped and whirled to find the child watching them. There was a strange, distant look in her eyes.

"I cannot give you weapons. It would affect the course of the war." She was halfway out of the door when she stuck her head back in and said casually, "So I definitely couldn't tell you that the weapons room is around the corner, three doors to your right." She flashed them a grin and left.

"She really grows on you," murmured Jason.

Rowen just smiled, climbing to her feet. "I'll go grab Ayren."