Chapter 21 - Under the Cover of Darkness

***Author Note: Hey y'all. We are getting to the end of the Sage book... just a handful of chapters left. I would love if I could get some feedback of what you think thus far! Thank you thank you!!!

Chapter 21 – Under the Cover of Darkness

            Ford slowly turned and spotted a boy, probably about his age, perched on the counter. The boy’s hair was a stark white, his eyes a golden hazel, and a smirk danced on his lips. He was handsome but on the skinner side. It wasn’t his features, which drew Ford’s attention, but the blood all over his tight pale blue shirt. Ford was almost positive that he had bought the same blue shirt at H&M a while back.  He pictured it crumpled in a corner of his room – waiting to be ironed out

            “Looks like you found me first.” Ford nodded placing his glass of water on the counter. He needed to keep his hand from shaking, and more importantly this Sage from seeing it. The kitchen was dark and only moonlight lit the area.

            “Look what I did.” He held out his hands and the dried blood on them sent shivers down Ford’s spine.  The Colorado teen could not put his finger on why the whole scene was so chilling. “I didn’t mean to hurt her,” the boy said and then hit his head. “Bad Sid, bad,” he kept hitting himself causing his cheek to turn red.  Ford couldn’t bear to watch it.

            “Stop hurting yourself,” Ford stepped forward to intervene but the boy held out a hand and the kitchen grew darker. Ford felt a force pull him back onto the sink.

            “Don’t. Touch. Me.” He, who Ford now knew to be Sid, spat out sternly. Standing up on the counter he looked around the apartment. “You’re friends are asleep…”

            “Please don’t wake them,” Ford replied and the Sage’s head jolted back looking at him.

            “I’m not rude. She was rude.” Sid gulped. “I told her to stop…but she wouldn’t. She wouldn’t so I had to…darkness beats light – who would have thought.”

            “You didn’t have too…” Ford started but watched as the area grew darker still. He could not see outside and the living room, which was only feet away became drenched in darkness.

            “Yes I did!” Sid shouted. “I’m sure you have the same dreams I do.”

            “What do you mean?” Ford questioned looking at the boy for answered. He had no idea what dreams he was supposed to be having.

            “You don’t have the dreams…they started months ago,” Sid’s eyes were wide and tired. “I’ve stopped going to sleep. I can still smell it, that smell. She had them too.”

            “What happens in them?” Ford inquired more curious now than ever.

            “Stop trying to detract me!” Sid held out his hand and a long scythe appeared giving off a purple glow he slowly held it out and hooked it around Ford’s neck. Sid held it perfectly still the metal just touching Ford’s skin. It felt warm.

            “Stop, you don’t want to kill me and I don’t want to kill you!” Ford started.

            “But we have too!” Sid screamed holding the scythe tightly. “We have too,” tears started to drip down Sid’s cheek smearing the blood. “She knew that. I know that.”