Chapter 10 - Jumping Trains

Chatper 10 - Jumping Trains

 “You’re not staying at a hotel,” Ford insisted and opened the front door to his house and almost instantly Nancy was on top of him.  Walking in from the kitchen, Ford’s mother’s eyes were filled with questions.

            “Ford, you have finals next week and you are not ready for them at all. No going out… oh hello.” Nancy eyed Erin up and down.  She paused and pursed her lips in an accusatory way, “Are you two… studying?”

            “Actually, Erin is going to spend the night for a little bit,” Ford took the lead of the conversation knowing full well his mother wouldn’t be happy with it. “I met her when I went to that summer camp a few years ago. She was in town.”

            “And your parents are…” Nancy baited wondering why she had to take responsibility for this girl.

            Erin quickly saw her cue to jump in, “on a cruise.” Then instantly Ford saw it, Erin acting the part of a good girl, looks like Los Angeles rubbed off on her. “Nice to meet you Mrs. Jones, Ford has said so many nice thing,” Erin shook Nancy’s hand then continued not letting Ford’s mom speak. “Yeah I am traveling by myself across the country, visiting family in Utah.”

            “Are you not in school?” Was all Nancy could get out.

            “Yeah, a private one, we already ended.” Erin lied. “Start early. But listen, I didn’t know you had finals so I can just go stay at a hotel,” Erin looked to Ford then back to the front door.

            “No, it’s fine,” Nancy gave in. “I’ll turn out a bed in the guest room. But Erin, I hope you’ll understand if Ford can’t spend all his time with you this weekend.”

            “Totally understand, maybe I can help you study.” Erin gave a curt polite smile then nodded towards Nancy, “Thank you Mrs. Jones.”

            “Ford,” Nancy walked back into the kitchen, “show her the guest room.”

            Ford walked down the long hallway to a powder blue room, which looked more like it came from a home and garden book than the mind of Nancy.

            “She is intense,” Erin commented once she put down her small bag and looked around the room.

            “Tell me about it, so when is Lori coming in?” Ford got to the point as he motioned across the hall to the bathroom. “There is the bathroom.”

            “She wanted me to meet her at the Denver train station at 10:30pm,” Erin touched the bed sheets, “you shouldn’t get frustrated with your mom. I can tell she cares about you.”

            Ford was taken aback by Erin’s comment but just nodded and smiled. He started to leave the room when Erin added one more comment, “Sorry about the kitchen.”

            “Yeah,” Ford chuckled, “No worries, they think a bear did it.” The two stared at each other for a moment then laughed.

***

            Stepping off the train, Lori’s hair was longer. The red strands fell past her cheeks landing on her shoulder. One would never guess the power she contained or the maliciousness. Ford watched the two from