1 - The Godly Pursuant

I didn’t do anything, I swear! That wasn’t me! That was something else. Those were just the volcanic earth plates jostling in their sleep.

Why do they jostle everytime I get angry, anyway?!

Okay, so today at school, while we were at the yard, I went to the place where I always stay during breaks at the yard: wherever no one else would go to. Having attention deficit hyperactivity disorder doesn’t make me too popular with people, what with my clumsiness and sarcastic words that I tend to spit out without thinking. Then I thought that I must have been someone really special for Shania Polack to come over my territory and make fun of my hair. My dark-as-a-nightmare-black hair that is so long that it almost reached my buttocks and that I don’t really bother fixing.

“Gosh, Margaret Crowberry,” she scorned upon saying my name, “are you really in middle school or just an old lady pedophile?” She and her friends laughed.

“Gee, Shania Polack,” I said between gritted teeth, “go cheat on your boyfriend.”

It is a secret, though, that I found her kissing some other guy in the back of the school building while she had a boyfriend named Chuck Fritz. I always knew she was cheating even before I caught them. You see, I can read minds. Yes, yes, I can be really freaky that way.

And… I wasn’t supposed to say that after all, and she doesn’t know that I knew. I don’t want her knowing that I can do some creepy things. It is already too much that she finds my hair and my eyes weird.

Anyway, Polack girl got pissed. She looked at me with fuming eyes. I smirked.

“Go to your dad who’s so pathetic that he does nothing but sit all day!” She yelled.

Sit all day? Seriously? “My dad has polio. He has no other choice but sit all day.” I told her patiently. “Please, Shania. Stop acting more idiotic than you already are. It doesn’t help you in any way.”

“Hmph,” she sneered. “I shouldn’t be so surprised. No wonder you’re poor. You got nothing. And your dad doesn’t even do anything. Pathetic.”

Okay… that was way out of line. I looked at Polack and her minions then I forced my eyes closed. I badly wanted to hit something—I have ADHD—but I tried to pull it together. Stop, Maggie. It’s not worth it.

But, soft! My eyesight turned bloody red.

And then the weirdest thing happened. The ground shook. It shook so hard that it brought me and the people around on our knees.

I’m not really an expert, but the earthquake was close to 4.8 magnitudes, with the epicenter right underneath where I was standing. I didn’t know how I knew that. I wasn’t thinking about that at that moment anyway.

I was thinking, Whooooaaaa!!!! Honestly, I was on a rush.