Chapter Twelve

The next day at school things seemed so different. People seemed less scared since there was only one surviving Kacie... Who wasn't even there at school.

It almost seemed chaotic. But, in a good way. People were everywhere now. Now, a jock talked to Heather. Willingly.

Girls were finally talking to each other and for at least one moment everything seemed okay. No one really knew what to do except be nice and help each other.

Heather and Dame sat at lunch. Heather decided not to eat. She still had a constant stomach ache of guilt that was now just slowly dissolving and going away. All of a sudden Kacie sat down next to me. Her face was red and she looked like she was going to break down and cry at any moment.

" Hi, Heather. I know we don't ever talk but... But... I need someone to sit with. Now that Kacie is gone some younger kids have taken over our table. " Kacie M. said before she started to rub her cheeks.

Dame leaned back and took a sip of his milk. " Well, since you're not as mean as Duke was. I guess you can sit here. "

Heather gently rubbed Kacie's back and sighed. Heather looked down and bit her nail.

Dame stood up then to throw away his garbage. Kacie was called over by someone so she left for a second.

Heather sat there alone and looked out the window. She quickly took out her journal and started to write quickly.

' Dear JD,
I know you won't leave me alone. I was stupid to believe you. You were outside my house just this morning. I also noticed the letter in my mailbox. You wrote about how Dame was hiding something from me.
I won't believe that. Dame wouldn't lie to me. Unless he somehow works with you... I would hate that. He does remind me of you.
My mother also knows somethings wrong. I hope she doesn't find anything in my room.
And if she does?
Maybe I should run away? '

Heather had to put the journal back into her backpack. She then bit down on her finger and kept watching out the window. She closed her eyes tightly then ran a hand through her messy hair.

" Are you alright? " Dame asked and sat down. " You really need to talk to me more... "

" I'm fine. " she said as Kacie sat next to her.

" None of us are fine... " Kacie said and set her head down.

Heather sighed and rolled her eyes slightly before standing up. " I need to use the bathroom... I'll be back. "

Heather never came back to lunch. After school, Dame was nice enough to drive Heather home. Heather walked in and was immediately stopped by her mother.

" Get into the living room. " Veronica said to her and walked to the living room quickly. Heather reluctantly followed and sat down on the couch.

Heather looked up at her mother who was sitting on the chair in front of her. " Wh-What's wrong? " she asked.

" How the hell did you get my old journal?! Have you read it?! I found it on the table this morning... " she said.

Heather stopped and frowned. " B-But- " she tried to say something but she was stopped by Veronica again.

" And... Why do you have this note? " she asked and held it up. " Who have this all to you? "

Heather breathed out shakily. " H-He... He told me he'd leave me alone. " she mumbled.

" Who?! " Veronica asked and stood up. " Tell me what's going on... I just don't want you to get into trouble. "

" Jason Dean... JD. " Heather stood up. " He told me you knew him... He told me to write in a journal. I've talked to him... He's absolutely insane. " Heather laughed nervously and scratched her cheek slightly. " And... And he's been talking to me. "

Veronica stopped. The color ran out of her face. " He's supposed to be dead. " she said quietly. " He killed himself. "

Heather stopped. " But, he's alive! I see him with my own eyes! " she said. "H-He's probably waiting for me upstairs. " Heather whispered and grabbed her mothers arm. She then started to run up to her room. The window was open and Heather ran over to look out. He was running off quickly.

Veronica got there in time just to see him go out of view. She closed the window tightly and walked to the door quickly. " Heather... Come with me downstairs. We need to talk. "